14/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

Haldir and Gimli stared in shock as they saw Aragorn suffocated by his own friend.

They could not believe what they had just seen, until Aragorn fell unconscious, then they hurried over to him with fear.

"Aragorn?" Haldir called, as he tried to awaken the man from his unconscious state, but with no success.

Gimli's eyes were torn, he did not know who to look at first: Legolas, who lay fragile on the grass, or to whom the elf's eyes gazed...Aragorn, who fell unconscious beside him.

Gimli stared upon them silently, not knowing what to say.

"Gimli!" Haldir called, waking the dwarf from his thoughts. "We need to find shelter soon; I suspect storm is ahead of us..."

Gimli nodded, saying nothing, only staring at the other elf, at Legolas, who in turn continued staring at Aragorn, his eyes wide open. He whispered, "A...Aragorn?"

Legolas tried to move closer to his friend, but was shoved off by Gimli; he seemed to fear for Aragorn's life, and moved to protect him from the elf.

"Gimli?" Legolas asked, as his eyes caught the familiar beard, and tried to speak more clearly, though his mouth grew dry.

Gimli opened his mouth, feeling he needed to admonish his friend, but Haldir stopped him. "Gimli, stop! You will regret your words later, my friend...stop!"

Haldir stroked Legolas' face to comfort him, seeking the right words, knowing that Legolas did not need to know that he had hurt his friend.

Legolas glared at Gimli, then at Haldir. "What happened to Aragorn?"

Gimli could not hold himself. He exploded at Legolas: "What happened? What happened! I'll tell you what happened! You suffocated your friend, that is what happened...!"

Legolas stared deeply at Gimli; he opened his mouth, then spared a look at Aragorn, noticing the pale face, as Aragorn gasped for breath.

He closed his eyes, and turned his face from them, though he did not know what had happened to him to cause him to do such a thing.

Haldir put his hand on Legolas' shoulder, as he tried to comfort him, feeling Legolas' guilt. "Legolas...look at me..."

Legolas did not turn, but quietly cried, not wanting to face anyone; he felt guilty enough for his act.