10/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

Aragorn and Gimli seemed to ignore Haldir's words as they continued to fight, and were unaware that Legolas was trying to open his eyes.

Arod walked over and, leaning down, gently nudged Legolas' cheek.

'Where is Gandalf when I need him?' Haldir asked himself. He sighed heavily as he looked at the sky, then he glanced at the elf lying on the ground.

Haldir watched Arod as he continued to nudge Legolas' face, and a small smile crossed his face.

"Why are you smiling?" Gimli asked, and stopped arguing.

Haldir remained silent. 'Arod, you are cleverer than those two,' he thought.

"Haldir?" Aragorn called to him, as he noticed that Haldir had not answered.

Legolas half closed eyes began to open, and he seemed confused. Arod continued to lavish his attention upon the injured elf.

"Ar..." he began to say. His voice was weak, for the neck wound was deep and caused searing pain as tried again to speak.

Aragorn thought that he heard something, and turned to face Gimli.

"Gimli, what was that?" Aragorn asked him, he thought that the dwarf was speaking to him.

"It was not Gimli, my lord," Haldir grinned at him.

"Then who was it?" Aragorn asked and thought, 'Legolas?' and walked over to his friend.

Gimli and Haldir quickly followed him as he approached the Mirkwood prince.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aragorn moved his hands over his friend's face, looking at him. 'You are awake, mellonen.'

Gimli stood behind Aragorn, angered that Aragorn would be the first sight Legolas would see.

"You cheated, I was suppose to speak with him first not you!" Gimli groaned at him.

Aragorn glanced at Gimli. He could see the anger and hurt on his face. Tears were brimming in his eyes, but he didn't have time worry about the dwarf. His main concern was his best friend, who needed him more at the moment.

"Ar..." Legolas tried to say, but his words would not come out. He heard too many voices, and it was too loud for him. He closed his eyes, and let the darkness engulf him.

"Yes, it is me Legolas," Aragorn said, and leaned closer to his friend.

"Umm... Aragorn?" Gimli called.

Aragorn turned to the dwarf, and asked, "What is it, Gimli? I am talking to him!" Aragorn explained.

"I do not think it was your name he was trying to say..." Gimli replied.

"What do you mean?" Aragorn asked, and came closer to the dwarf.

At that point Haldir reached over, laying a hand on both of their shoulders, hoping to calm their torn souls, but it did not appear to be successful.

Aragorn and Gimli stood face to face, their faces twisted in anger.

"He said 'Ar...'" Gimli said.

"So?" Aragorn exclaimed. "He meant me!"

"No, my friend, he might have been trying to speak to Arod, have you thought about that?" Gimli said and watched the horse continue to nudge his master's cheek.

"Then why do not we ask him?" Aragorn said in anger.

'Oh Valar...' Haldir sighed, and asked himself, 'Why have I been left to deal with these two stubborn fools?'

"Yes, let us do that!" Gimli grinned at him back.

"Wait a minute!" Haldir called.

Aragorn and Gimli turned to face Haldir. He stood calmly glaring at the pair.

"What?" they asked.

"What is wrong with you?" Haldir asked them.

Aragorn looked at Gimli; he was fidgeting with his hands, not sure what the elf was trying to say.

"What do you mean?" Aragorn asked.

"This is neither the time nor place to be arguing," Haldir explained, and added as there was no reaction from the man and the dwarf, "Your friend needs to rest, and you are arguing about what? A name?"

Aragorn and Gimli stared at each other, shame replacing the anger, but neither spoke a word.

Haldir looked at them. He could not believe that he was going through this. Shaking his head, he whispered, "Oh Valar... I have no idea how Legolas has suffered the two of you for all this time, why me?"