16/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

At dawn... 

Haldir continued to change the leaves, and then he stared at Aragorn and Gimli who were resting uncomfortably in the cave. He was certain that something was going on between them, and that it involved the prince.

His gaze went back to Legolas, and he cleaned the elf's face, whispering the question that had been preying on his mind, but knowing he was not going to get an answer: "Why are you kept blaming yourself, mellon-nin?"

He continued to speak words of compassion and understanding, hoping that it would reach into Legolas' subconscious.

"You have wonderful friends who care for you. Do not leave them behind, though right now Gimli is angry, and he is taking his anger out on Aragorn..." Haldir stopped and let out a laugh before continuing, "You are dear to them... and to me, ever since I first saw you in Lothlórien. I can see that you have changed a lot since the quest, and it is a good change, for you have a dwarf for a friend... cough... you made us realise that we should be proud of all races, mellon..." Haldir said as he wiped the falling tears from his face.

Haldir swallowed his tears and tried to breathe as calmly as he could. His gaze was totally focused on Legolas, waiting for any change, but nothing seemed to happen.

Haldir heard a groan and looked around, only to see that it was Gimli turning around in his sleep.

The march warden grinned, and then he gazed upon Aragorn. The man was twitching slightly in his sleep, and Haldir thought that Aragorn was having a dream or even a nightmare. He decided to go and wake the man up, feeling that there was no use in Aragorn continuing to try and sleep. Haldir left Legolas' side and walked over to Aragorn, kneeling next to him and shaking him gently.

"Wake..." Haldir called softly.

Aragorn struggled slightly, shoving Haldir's hands off as he murmured in his sleep, "Tired..."

Haldir raised an eyebrow and decided to return to Legolas.

"You will be alright, Legolas..." Haldir said comfortingly as he moved his hand over Legolas' forehead, hoping to feel any change.

But Legolas' forehead was still warm, so Haldir changed the leaves once more before stroking Legolas' face.

He saw Legolas' lips moving, and thought that Legolas was trying to say something, but there was no sound.

Haldir turned his head back to the man and dwarf. Both were sleeping restlessly, but neither woke.