4/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story. 

"Nimrodel River," Haldir said without hesitation.

"Ahh..." Gimli said, as he tried to remember something that Legolas sang to them before they crossed Lothlórien's border.

"Nimrodel River – it is used to heal souls and wounds. If you bathe the wound in the river, it will heal it and prevent infection. That is all I can do for him, the rest is up to you," Haldir explained.

"What do you mean?" Gimli asked.

"Legolas knows his fate; he knew he was doomed, by one hand or another. The choice to save him, as a friend, is up to you and King Elessar," Haldir explained. Gimli sensed Haldir spoke the truth – which Legolas' life depended on them.

"We should move now, before it's too late," Gimli suggested. He did not want to lose his friend now that Haldir had given him some hope.

"First, find Aragorn and tell him what I have said to you – it will give him some hope, as he is lost to despair," Haldir said.

"And then?" Gimli asked.

"When we get there, I will let you know what we must do," Haldir said and watched the change in the dwarf's face.

Gimli felt the happiness flow through him as he realized there was hope, hope for Legolas, for his friend. Walking outside of the wood, he saw Aragorn, his face covered by his hands as he cried, the grief tormenting him. Gimli came closer to him and put his hand on Aragorn's shoulder, but the human still did not move.

"Aragorn?" Gimli called. Aragorn raised his head and saw Gimli smiling at him.

"Why are you smiling?" Aragorn asked, adding: "is there any change in Legolas' condition?"

"No, but Haldir has given me hope," Gimli said.

"There is hope?" Aragorn asked.

"For Legolas, there is. I can not believe we missed it," Gimli said.

Aragorn rose to his feet, placed his hand on Gimli's shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes. "What?" Aragorn asked, "What did we miss?"

"Nimrodel River. Aragorn, can you not remember Legolas' song about the river?" Gimli asked.

Aragorn only nodded. "Where is Haldir now?" he asked, guessing Nimrodel was Haldir's idea.

"He is with Legolas right now," Gimli said.

Gimli waited to see how Aragorn would react, but the man did nothing.

Aragorn did not move; he just stayed where he was. Gimli began to think that Aragorn did not even care about Legolas.

Gimli was disappointed with Aragorn's reaction, and left him in disgust; he thought Aragorn would be happy at least to save his friend.

Gimli walked into the forest slowly and sadly, his eyes staring on the ground; his feelings were mixed with hope and despair. He did not know if he should smile or cry; all he knew was that he must do everything to save the elf's life.

"Gimli?" A voice was heard. It was Aragorn calling.

"What is it, Aragorn?" Gimli asked, as his eyes still on the ground.

"Please forgive me..." Aragorn said.

"You need to say it to Legolas if he will survive at all," Gimli said sadly.

Aragorn knew Gimli was right, but there was nothing he could do, unless Haldir could save Legolas' life...

"Gimli..." Aragorn tried to say, but he could not speak any further.

Gimli rose and came closer to Aragorn, saying: "No matter what Legolas said, Aragorn, you are the only one of us who can save him," Gimli said, and squeezed the man's arm in support.

"Did you really think so?" Aragorn asked wonderingly.

"I am. Aragorn, you are healer," Gimli said, and began to continue walking further into the forest.

"Where are you going?" Aragorn asked.

"To help Haldir," the dwarf said as he walked, then he stopped and asked: "Are you coming?"

There was no answer but Aragorn came after him.

As they came closer to where Legolas was, they heard the elves talking:

"He has no chance to live until dawn. Haldir, how could you give them the feeling of hope, when life left his body a while ago?" one of the elves asked.

Aragorn and Gimli looked at each other in disbelief. They could not believe what they had just heard, and they felt angry and betrayed by one they thought they could trust.