6/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

"Trust your feelings!" Haldir stated.

Gimli groaned and looked at him.

The color started to return to Legolas' pale skin.

"Aragorn? Tell me I am not dreaming," Gimli said.

"You are not dreaming," Aragorn said.

Aragorn just hoped now that Legolas would be awake soon.

Gimli came closer to his friend and started to whisper to him over and over: "Legolas, lad, please wake up."

"I never would have believed Legolas would have such caring friends in a dwarf and a man," Haldir said.

"Legolas has a good heart, and a good soul," Aragorn said.

"Yes, he does," Haldir said.

Gimli watched Legolas, hoping deeply in his heart to see the elf back on his feet and smiling at him. He missed it, he missed his song, and he missed his companion.

"Gimli, my friend," Aragorn said, "go and rest; I will keep my eye on him along with Haldir."

"I can not," Gimli said, allowing the tears to fall from his eyes.

"Gimli, sleep, my friend, you need to be strong when he awakes. You know how stubborn this elf can be," Aragorn said.

"Well..." Gimli said, knowing he had a point, and continued: "You are right about that."

The dwarf laid down next to the elf, and fell asleep before Aragorn had a chance to say: 'Sleep well'.

Haldir turned to Aragorn. "You need to rest too," he said.

"I can not do it," Aragorn said.

"You need to regain your strength; you need to be ready to help him when he wakes up," Haldir said.

"I will not find my rest here. I'm worried about him," Aragorn said.

"You have to at least try," Haldir suggested. "You said yourself how stubborn he will be when he opens his eyes."

Aragorn watched the view of the sun setting; the sky was painted in orange and blue before everything changed to black as darkness came. The night enveloped them with peace.

Aragorn knelt next the river near his friends and closed his eyes. In his mind he hoped Legolas would live.

The warmth of friendship seemed to cover them with hope and with a new beginning of life.

Haldir watched over them, occasionally looking at Legolas, who lay peacefully on the sand; his skin had regained some colour, but his eyes were still shut, and his hair saturated with blood. Legolas loved his hair.

The march warden and the elves kept watch during the night. He still looked occasionally at Legolas to see if there was any movement or any sign of life, but there was none.

Haldir remembered the words from his lady of light, Galadriel, to keep the kingdom safe, but there was nothing he could do.

He had heard rumors that orcs were attacking Lothlórien in different places. Haldir wanted it to be kept safe, but now he knew the rumors had to be true, for Thranduil's son was hurt, and he knew that he could not forgive himself if the prince died.

His eyes moved towards the Nimrodel River and searched for a light that would help take away the shadow and blame covering his heart; he watched as the light of the moon was reflected on the river, and it brought him a little hope.

Haldir was so lost in thought he did not notice that it was no longer dark as the sun began to rise. Nor he did notice Aragorn putting his hand on his shoulder, or heard Gimli's voice.

Aragorn shook him a little. When he got no response, he called to the elf.

"Haldir?"

Haldir blinked and looked at him.

"Haldir?"

"What is it King of Gondor?"

"I... we were worried about you, mellonen," Aragorn said, noticing the confused look on the march warden's face. "You looked as though your mind was elsewhere."

Haldir's eyes were on the prince, then he looked at Aragorn and Gimli.

"You seemed lost for a moment Haldir," Aragorn said.

"Only in thoughts my king," Haldir said.

"Is there something we could do to ease your thoughts?" Aragorn asked.

Haldir thought, and came up with a solution.

"I believe there is," Haldir said.

"Well..." Gimli asked.

"Did you kill the orcs who harmed the prince?" Haldir asked.

"No! I did not kill them all; I killed only those so I could get to Legolas, to free him from their nails and their sharp knives," Gimli said.

"Then I must leave you now and hunt down the orcs outside of the kingdom," Haldir stated.

"Why?" Aragorn asked.

"I gave my word to my lady, and I failed by doing this," Haldir said.

"Why do you blame yourself?" Gimli asked.

"I am not blaming myself," Haldir said in fury.

Gimli rose and left Legolas' side and walked to Haldir. "You both took the blame on your shoulders, while another sacrificed himself to save our lives, and I have had enough of this!" he said.

Aragorn and Haldir's eyes were on Gimli, their faces frozen in disbelief. They just looked at him.

"You are right Gimli," Aragorn said, and Haldir added: "I will not rest until the orcs have paid for what they have done."

After Haldir spoke, there was silence.

Gimli could not believe his ears. He felt as if he was going to explode at Haldir's words; the elf was more like Aragorn than Legolas.

Aragorn noticed the furious look on the dwarf's face and came closer to him.

"You are just like Aragorn," Gimli hissed.

"WHAT?" Haldir and Aragorn shouted together.

"You are not different from each other," Gimli said, and noticed the look that was upon Haldir's face. "Are you sure you are not human, lad?" he groaned at him.

"What? Gimli, what is going on?" Aragorn asked.

"Just that Haldir is acting more like a human than an elf," Gimli explained.

"And you are acting like an elf, master dwarf." Haldir grinned at him.

"I learnt from the best, lad," Gimli said, as he lowered his head over Legolas' body and let his tears fall. "I just hope that I will get to see him smile once again."

Aragorn came closer to Gimli and knelt by his side. "You will see him smile, my friend, as I want to see him smiling as you always do," he said.

They sat next to Legolas, trying to find some hope, to see some sign of life.

The wounds seemed to be healing, but there was nothing else. His skin had regained its color, but they were all wondering why Legolas had not yet opened his eyes.