Chapter 12

Dice

I'm a man of sex. I don't do relationships. I don't have time for something as complex as a family, but right now, that's all I want. Watching her sleep makes me realize how much I've missed her. She's been holding all of this in for so long, she's exhausted. We've both made mistakes. My life has never been the same since the day Cloey came bouncing into the barn at Wayward Ranch to flirt with me. Back then, it was a game between the two of us. It was a distraction. Her laughter and good-natured personality rubbed off on me until the day I realized I was getting too attached to wanting her around. Then I ran off scared and tried everything under the sun to avoid her. The guys had laughed at me. It'd been humorous until the day Cloey's brother Brad kidnapped Ayasha. After that, something changed. I became protective of Cloey and maybe even a little possessive. And then I screwed it all up by behaving like my father. I haven't touched a drink of alcohol since the night she discovered me having my way with those two women, but I was terrified I would screw up if I stayed with her.

Her secret is huge. Life-altering, but I can't let myself be mad. I remember the words I said to her that day in the driveway. In a nutshell, I'd explained to her that I wasn't the faithful type. More like the type to love her and leave her. I didn't want the responsibilities and I didn't want her. Those were my exact words. I can't explain it, but I can understand what she did. I can't say I would have done the same thing if I'd been her. She'd been protecting her child from getting hurt. She was protecting her from the pain I was capable of causing them both. But I'm not that man anymore. My epiphany came during the mission Red met his wife. Everything changed. Even my dick agreed. It stopped responding to anyone but her. I often found myself jacking off to a picture of her I keep hidden in my wallet. With the men, I continued to exploit my extracurricular activities. It's a good thing I'm good at bluffing. Or I was until she came back into my life.

It's time for a change. I want my family back. Moving Cloey as slowly and silently as possible, I manage to free myself. Within seconds, I'm dressed. It's time to get to work.

*************

I knew the team would head back to Wayward when they found out we were gone. It's the safest place for us to keep Cloey safe. The whole ranch is secured with security due to it being our base and due to the residents. I stop Bear on the way to the kitchen table of the main house where the rest of the men are already seated.

"I'm sorry, man. I wasn't trying to step on any toes."

Bear sighs. "It's okay. Ayasha gave me an earful about how much of an asshole I was. You were protecting her like I do Ayasha. It's natural instinct to protect the ones we love."

I start to speak, but Bear interrupts. "And don't tell me you don't love that woman. Because if you do, I'll be the first one to call bullshit on you. You've spent the last two years stuck between every woman's legs you could get between and every last one of them looked like her. It's okay to love someone, Dice, but that's something you're going to have to figure out on your own."

The conversation would seem awkward with anyone but Bear. I may be the oldest of the group, but age doesn't always define maturity. And Bear can level with me any day. I hold up my hands in defeat, and he gives me a reassuring grin as we join the rest of our comrades.

"Dice Sanders has a daughter. The world has officially hit the fan."

Gunner's comment leaves a smile on my face. "Oh, I don't know about that. I think the world could benefit a little bit from that Sanders charm."

Pride fills my chest studying the picture Cloey gave me. I saw Ayasha heading toward the bunkhouse when I was leaving, so I know she'll keep a close eye on my girl. I suspect they'll be having a heart to heart of their own when she wakes up. Red grins at me.