Chapter 14

Dice

Going home isn't something I look forward to. My family wouldn't know what a home is if it kicked them in the ass. It's all show and display for them. There's one aspect to this plan I'm still not happy with. I want Cloey safe.

"I think this will work more smoothly if I go alone. My family can be a lot to handle."

Cloey shakes her head. "I'm coming with you."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Despite trying to cover it up, there's no hiding the frustration in my words, but I mean them. Cloey flinches. Having this conversation in front of the men doesn't seem appropriate, but these men are my brothers. I want to keep her safe. She needs to be here to be a part of our daughter's life.

"I'm still trying to come to terms with all of this, Cloey. I won't have time to watch your every move, and I need the reassurance you're safe."

She descends on me. The anger in her eyes causes me to take a step back. I remember the last time she looked that angry and it didn't bode well for me. "I made a mistake, damn it. A big one, but she's my daughter, too. And what do you think is going to happen if I don't show up? It could take you forever to get what you need, but we both know me showing up will throw them off their game because it will be the perfect opportunity to try and kill me."

Gunner raises a brow in my direction. "And you had sex with her?"

Bear and Red are trying unsuccessfully to hide a smirk. I shrug while Cloey throws daggers at each of them. Actually, it's this side of Cloey that makes the bedroom more interesting. She's phenomenal in the sack.

"You know what they say about a woman with a temper."

"No. What do they say?" Gunner crosses his arms. A slow smile stretches across my face. Cloey stands in a similar stance, but her expression holds a promise, a violent promise. It's one that should cause me to shut up but affects me in a different way instead.

"A woman's temper often makes her a vixen between the sheets."

Laughter erupts from Gunner's mouth at the same time Cloey's face turns a dark shade of red. If the room wasn't full of people, I would take the opportunity to lift her up and take her against the wall she's leaning on. It's been too damn long. I've missed her. More than I want to admit. Instead, I look at Bear. He nods. With that man no words are necessary. He's our leader and he's damn good at it.

"Take Gunner with you. He'll be able to help you protect Cloey and work from the inside on getting the intel we need to take Benjamin down. I want this to be a clean takedown, boys."

Our gazes meet. "Try not to kill him, Dice."

Emotions flicker in Bear's eyes. We have similar bones to pick with Benjamin Easton. His need for money helped cause Brad Henderson to go crazy and kidnap his wife before we took him down and killed him ourselves.

"I don't make promises I can't keep."