Thoughts

Vlad returned with the celebrating men and women. He watched as everyone was eating and drinking. He found it pathetic that they celebrated for something inconvenient; the war against the Ottomans wasn't over.

Memories returned to him when his father, Vlad II, gave him and his brother to Sultan Murad II. Vlad bit his lower lip as he remembered when the Sultan and his council forced him and his brother, Radu, to learn the ways of Allah and Ottoman culture. Radu accepted the teachings and welcomed the thought that Wallachia would benefit from them. 

As an adolescent, there were rumors that Radu was a concubine for Mehmed II. He didn't want to believe it. Vlad wanted to protect his brother and constantly reminded him of the importance of their family and culture: to never stray away. One day, Vlad wanted to visit Radu in his quarters until he saw something strengthening his hatred. Vlad saw Mehmed and Radu having intercourse; the rumors were true. Deep down, he wanted to go in and stop such an atrocious act that was a sin to God. 

However, he walked away in anger, hurt, and hatred. Vlad made a vow to God that he would kill the Ottomans.

Slowly, the people in the building began to go to their rooms to rest. Tomorrow, they all would return to Wallachia. Vlad decided to go back to his room and rest for tomorrow. His thoughts then trailed to the young woman, Angelina. He had difficulty believing that she was from a different time. Yet, she did have those objects that he had never seen before.

When returning to his room, Angelina lay on the floor with an empty plate beside her; she was asleep. Was it possible that she was from another time? If so, what was her purpose? Vlad could wake her and force her to answer his questions, but he was exhausted and not in the mood. He wanted to have a peaceful sleep. Vlad undressed until he had his undergarments, got on his bed, and tried to sleep.

Minutes passed, and he was about to close his eyes when he heard Angelina snoring. The snoring was not as loud, and he tried to fall back to sleep, but then her snoring got louder and rougher. Vlad sat up from his bed and looked at the young woman. She was dead asleep, drips of her saliva dripping from her lips. "Woman, quiet yourself."

Angelina was still asleep and still snoring. "Grandma, Grandpa..." The Voivode didn't understand what she was saying but knew that whoever she called out was essential to her. Angelina eventually calmed down after a few more tears, and her snoring became quiet. Vlad waited a few moments and decided to lay back on his bed, and sleep overtook him.

Eventually, morning arrived, and Angelina was still asleep but woke up when she landed on something hard. When she woke up, she noticed hay. The young woman looked at her surroundings and saw that she was outside. "What the heck is going on?"

"You're finally awake." Vlad was on his horse, fixing his gloves.

"Wh-What's happening?"

"We're all returning to my palace in Wallachia. I told you that you were coming with us. Also..." Vlad looked at her. "You snored like a man last night."

Angelina felt her face turn warm. "I-I don't! I-I-I-"

Vlad let out a humorless chuckle. "In denial, are you? I was about to wake you and force you to be silent, but then you called out 'Grandma' and 'Grandpa,' and you fell asleep."

"Those were my grandparents. I told you they took care of me more than my Mother." Angelina looked away.

Vlad raised an eyebrow and scoffed. He then commanded his horse to ride before his men. "It is time to leave. We return to Wallachia. Let us march."

Everyone began to move and follow their Voivode. Angelina felt nervous. She didn't know what was going to happen to her and if she was going to survive.