Order

Angelina arrived at Vlad's study; the guards gave her no trouble. The study was warm due to the lit fireplace, and upon arrival, she looked around. She wanted to distract herself from the previous events. So many thoughts trailed to her mind; everything happened swiftly. The more Angelina thought about it, the more it made sense why Ioana and Bioan warned her to be cautious. 

A shiver went down her spine, thinking about what could have happened to the guests. She stood in front of the fireplace to keep her warm, and when she glanced at her surroundings, she noticed the desk. "I wonder if he still has my phone and backpack." Angelina walked toward his desk, filled with piles of papers and scrolls. Under the desk was where she saw her backpack, and all her things were still there; a sigh of relief escaped her lips. Once she noticed her phone, she turned it on, and it had a small percentage of energy left. It annoyed her, but what worried her was that the charger would not work forever; she couldn't let Vlad overuse her technology.

The young woman knew she needed her phone since she hadn't planned to stay in the castle under Vlad's rule for long. After seeing what happened in the festivities and going through some unpleasant experiences with Minah, she began to think of how much more danger she was in. Angelina decided to remove the phone's battery and keep it when it was right. Vlad would be angry, but Angelina believed she could entertain him in other ways.

People liked her stories; Vlad also seemed intrigued. Once the battery was removed, she put it safely in her corset and the phone in her backpack. She noticed something that looked like a journal. Curiosity got the best of her, and she got the journal and opened it. At first, Angelina thought she couldn't understand the language, but she could understand it as if it were clear English. "This is so wrong, but I can't help myself." She read three pages of the journal that was written two years ago. He wrote about his childhood and how hellish it was. 

Vlad wrote about how the constant wars with the Ottomans, the Saxons, and the Boyars overwhelmed his father and older brother. His father would always be alert and sometimes vent his frustrations and stress on his sons. Vlad went through rigorous training and even beatings from his father and teachers. Angelina felt terrible for Vlad; she knew growing up in his era was hell on earth. She thought that growing up in nobility would bring a little more comfort, but it was worse since there were enemies everywhere who wanted more land and power. While reading the fourth page, Vlad wrote about his mother, who seemed to bring him happiness and relief during his turbulent time. 

Angelina read that Vlad's mother always read and sang to him and tried to shield him from the abuses and cruelty of the world. There were times when Vlad's father beat his wife whenever she spoke against his abuse and cruelty to Vlad and his brothers. "It seems that Vlad loved his mother." Suddenly, she heard footsteps approaching the study; Angelina closed, put the journal back in its place, and stood before the fireplace.

The door immediately opened, which made Angelina flinch and turn. By the door was Vlad, but his clothes were unbuttoned and in disarray. What surprised the young woman was that Vlad had some blood stains on his clothes and parts of his face. She knew that whatever happened to the guests was not good. Angelina bowed, not wanting to offend or show him her fear.

Vlad closed the door behind him as he walked behind his desk and sat on his chair. It became silent as only the crackles of the fire echoed. "Your story was something I never heard of."

His words surprised Angelina. Of all the things he could speak about, he chose her story. "Y-Yeah, I heard it from my many travels. When one travels, one learns and listens to new things. Did I meet your expectations?"

Vlad eyed Angelina, who still kept her head down; it amused him. "Raise your head, woman." She slowly did what she was told, but her eyes moved side to side, trying to avoid his gaze. "Your story was very intriguing as it reminded much more of what those traitors have done."

"I-I didn't mean to make the story remind you of anything horrible. I-I thought it would bring interest and suspense."

"Fate works in mysterious ways, does it not? Even if you had told another story, I still would have given my orders on those fools."

When the young woman glanced at Vlad, she saw how loose his body was; his expression and body looked at ease. "I-I know it's none of my business, but you mentioned them betraying your father and brother."

When the Voivode looked at her, Angelina immediately looked away. "Yes, when my father and brother were out of the way, they made profits when they worked with those Ottoman savages. Not only that, I have eyes and ears around my kingdom. I know they were conspiring to have me killed. Do you believe what I have done was wrong?"

Angelina was surprised that Vlad asked her such a question. She didn't know what she was getting. She had the feeling that Vlad wanted some approval for his choice. The memory from reading his journal made her realize that Vlad had enemies everywhere; he couldn't have a moment's rest. "I-I can't say whether or not you have done right or wrong. What is right and wrong? Some may or may not find it agreeable—only you know, V-Voivode. You did what you felt you had to for the sake of your kingdom. That is what a good ruler would do."

Vlad's gaze never wavered; he massaged his forehead. "You say that, but do you know what I have done with those traitors? Would you still hold your words true?"

"I-I don't know. Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures."

The Voivode gaze turned into a glare. "Are you saying that what I have done was out of desperation?"

"N-No! It's just a saying! I have heard it many times when people are in a difficult situations and must act quickly. It was never meant to offend you!"

Vlad scoffed. "Well, I have called you here because I was impressed by your storytelling skills and want to hear your stories. Also, that contraption is giving me difficulties."

"Y-Yeah, technology is not forever."

"With that, you will become my official mistress."

Angelina flinched violently and looked at Vlad, who sat calmly. "P-Please tell me you're joking!? Y-You are married and-!"

"I married Minah since she is of my class, not for affection. Her duty is to bear healthy children that will inherit my kingdom. Nothing more. Worry not; I will not force you to have you in my bed, but it will come to a time when you will. I want us to become more acquainted before it comes to it." Vlad smirked. "And since you are my official mistress, no harm will come to you. Not even Minah shall not harm you. You will not refuse or..." An idea came to him. "I might as well show you of the consequences. Follow me."

The Voivode stood up from his seat and motioned the young woman to follow him, which she reluctantly did. They walked out of Vlad's study and walked by a long hall where Vlad then motioned her to follow him to an exit which led to one of the many outside parts of the castle. He stopped by the stone balcony and motioned his hand out to the open space. Angelina slowly stood beside him and looked around until her eyes went down.

The moment she did so, Angelina felt her soul left her body. Her eyes widened in absolute horror. Her lips trembled; her breathing became rampant. She wanted to yell, but her throat and mouth became dry. Tears slowly formed as the strength in her body was slowly leaving her. At the lower part of the castle, she saw the bodies of the guests, men and women, naked and impaled on stakes. Blood poured down from the wooden stakes like waterfalls; many of the impaled were dead, but some of them twitched. "My...god..." Angelina's legs wobbled and had no strength; she fell to the floor.

Vlad looked at her in amusement as he did at the sight of the impaled traitors. Some died immediately when they became impaled, and others were still alive but were slowly dying, as he enjoyed it. "I wanted to show you who I am and what I am capable of. I have no qualms of showing no mercy to a man or woman. You do well to remember this, and you will arrive at my chambers tomorrow night." With that, Vlad left Angelina alone, who still knelt on the floor as she was finally able to let out a horrified cry.