Story

Angelina finally arrived at the female servant quarters, where the women finished dressing or brushing their hair. Upon her arrival, the women looked at her. As Angelina walked toward her bed, Sorina noticed and immediately went to her. "I was worried about you. We heard that you met with the Voivode. W-Were you punished!? Were you cast out!? Please don't tell me that you are to be-!?"

"Sorina, relax. I will still be a lady-in-waiting for Lady Minah. I was just warned to be careful with my words, that's all."

The women mumbled to one another while Sorina motioned Angelina to her bed. "Praise be to our Lord that you were given a chance of life. Our Voivode is not so merciful to those who anger him and Lady Minah. He usually lets Lady Minha do what she wants with the servants."

"Well, I was fortunate not to have such a fate. Anyway, I need to bathe. It has been a long day, and tomorrow might get worse."

"I'll help you with your bath." The two women went to one of the corners of the quarters, where Sorina warmed some water and put it on the wooden tub covered in white sheets. Angelina still felt a little of being naked with other women, but the others seemed to be used to seeing one another nude. Sorina noticed her uncomfort and got a long white sheet shielding her from view. Angelina unclothed herself as she went inside the tub with warm water. Her body became relaxed in the comfort of the warm waters. When her body was engulfed, Sorina put down the sheet and assisted Angelina with wetting and brushing her hair. "Angelina, you promised to tell me some stories of your travels."

Angelina laid her head on the corner of the tub while Sorina washed her hair. She knew Sorina and the others wouldn't believe her story about the forest; she didn't want to be seen as insane. However, Angelina knew Sorina wouldn't leave her alone until she told a story. "Okay, let me see..." Many women got onto their beds as they looked at Angelina; they were also curious. That was when Angelina remembered one of her trips to Mexico as she went to Merida; it had a lot of beautiful history and scenery. "In one of my travels, I traveled to a country close to the ocean. Many small and big buildings and many towns lived close to the ocean. I have also explored many magnificent caves."

"Caves?"

"Yeah, caves are something that is carved in mountains or stone. Small caves can have nothing but rocks; some have hidden lakes and rivers. Also, I have seen some caves that lead to many paths, some long, some short, and some so tight that one could get stuck in them." It wasn't a total lie; Angelina has been to Mexico a few times since it was affordable, but it held so much beauty even with its bloody history and reputation."

Many women looked intrigued as they listened to her stories. Angelina couldn't deny that she was enjoying having her stories being heard. "There is also a frightful legend about a ghost woman who said she lived. There are many versions of this legend, but the one I heard is that this woman, Maria, was considered beautiful in the village she was from and had many suitors. However, she fell in love with one man in particular."

Sorina was intrigued by the story as she finished washing Angelina's hair with certain herbs. "What then?"

"Well, this man was known to be a womanizer and tried to woo her, but Maria played hard to get, which made him desire her even more. So much so that he asked her to marry him; she accepted. At the beginning of their marriage, they were happy and had two children. However, after a few years, Maria's husband's mind began astray, and he missed his bachelor life." The women were glued to the story as they listened silently, waiting for what would happen next. "Maria's husband fell into his temptations, and he began to have many affairs. Maria found out and begged her husband to think of their family; he didn't change his old ways."

"That is awful! This man has a beautiful wife and still goes after others! What next!?" Sorina washed Angelina's hair with water.

"Maria's husband didn't listen to his wife's pleas and still had affairs. However, he held more love for his children than she. This made Maria go into despair and rage. Rage that her husband would be with other women and love their children more than her. That is when she did the unthinkable; she took her children to a river and drowned them to death."

Many of the women and Sorina gasped in horror. "What, she drowned her poor innocent children!? They have done nothing!" exclaimed one of the women.

Angelina looked at Sorina and nodded. Sorina covered her with a white sheet and helped Angelina with her clothing. Everyone was silent as they waited for her to finish dressing. Once finished, Angelina sat on her bed; Sorina sat beside her and helped brush her hair. "Yes, I agree. The legend is still not finished. "Once her anger subsided, Maria realized what she had done. Grief and guilt overwhelmed her, and she killed herself."

"One sin after another! What horrible crimes!"

"When dead, Maria walked to heaven's gates, but God was repulsed by her actions and sent her to purgatory on Earth to find her children. It is said that Maria would not go to heaven until she found her children. However, since she was to roam in purgatory, legends say that her spirit travels to the rivers at night to find her missing children. People have said to hear her wails calling for her children, which is why they call her the Wailing Woman. Parents warn their children never to go to the rivers at night; if they do, the Wailing Woman will drown them and take their souls."

"That is dreadful! Do you think the Wailing Woman comes here?" asked Sorina.

"Don't be ridiculous; it's just a stupid story that this woman made!"

All the women looked in one direction. Angelina also noticed her and remembered Ioana mentioning her before. "I was just asking Daciana. Either way, it was a good story; it excited us."

"Hm! It wasn't even that exciting; it happens in life most of the time."

"You are just jealous that she made it out unscathed by the Voivode. Just accept that he desires you no more. He has Lady Minah and will never fall for us, mere servants!"

Angelina could feel the tension and didn't want it to escalate further. "Come no, that's enough. Besides, we all need to sleep since tomorrow we have lots of work. Maybe I will tell you all a different story next time."

Many of the women mumbled as they got ready for bed. Daciana and Sorina glared at one another until Sorina went to her bed. "That legend was well said. I will try to help you more when I can."

"Thank you, it would be much appreciated. Before Angelina laid down to sleep, Daciana gave her an evil glare. Angelina lay down and knew that she and Daciana may not get along.