See

Angelina worked under Minah throughout the day and was surprised that it was tolerable. Minah didn't cause her too much grief, making her wonder if Vlad had anything to do with it. Or if it was because Angelina refused to look her in the face, only if needed. Minah usually had a tedious day, which consisted of overlooking the household and other complaints among the servants. Also, physicians would keep an eye and check on her once in a while since she was heavily pregnant. Whenever Angelina had the chance, she would notice how tired and thoughtful Minah was. It made the young woman wonder what Minah truly felt being married to a man like Vlad. 

It also made Angelina wonder if Minah acted the way she did because she felt trapped and unhappy. Momentarily, she and the other ladies-in-waiting were standing afar from Minah, who was with other low-born noblewomen whom she had invited for a small sowing session. The women were gossiping about other women, among other minor things. Angelina was surprised they didn't speak about the previous events with the Boyars and their wives. Her thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the door. Sorina was motioned to open it, and she did so. Once opened, Angelina slowly lifted her head to take a peek; she wanted to let out a groan of annoyance.

Minah and the other women stopped what they were doing. "Ah, Alexandrei. What a surprise to see you here."

Alexandrei bowed as he smiled. "Well, I wanted to see if you were doing well. The physician went to our Voivode and informed him about the state of your pregnancy. It seems that you are due any moment and I wanted to ensure that you were well."

Minah put her hand over her stomach. "I am well, Alexandrei. It would have been nice if my husband cared more for my state. I carry his heir, after all." 

Angelina noticed Minah's soft tone, which made her realize that Minah was lonely, which could mean she acted vile. Still, Angelina felt that it was still no excuse to treat others with disrespect."

"Well, the Voivode is very busy since he has a kingdom to look out for, but he would be happy if you gave birth to a son. I know it will make him very happy." Alexandrei was about to leave, but at the corner of his eye, he noticed Angelina. "Hm, well, if it is the spy herself. I cannot believe that you were given the honor to be a guest yesterday's festivities."

The young woman knew that Alexandrei was testing her; he wanted her to give out a reaction. "Well, Lord...Alexandrei. The Voivode has given me the honor, and I am just happy that I could do my duty. Like how I am serving Lady Minah."

Alexandrei smirked as his eyes never left her. "Is that so? I imagine that it gives you a wonderful opportunity to be closer to nobility. Too close."

Angelina refused to look at him; she didn't want to create more hostility, but she knew there were other ways to get her point across. "Well, there is a saying, 'There is more than meets the eye.' Sometimes people aren't who they always seem unless you know them completely." Everyone, including Minah, was silent. Angelina couldn't help but feel satisfied that she made the arrogant man silent.

"Well, you are right about that. We will see who you truly are." With that, Alexandrei left, leaving everyone stunned.

"Forgive me, my ladies, for disturbing your event. If you would like me to leave, I-"

"Everyone, leave. You, woman, will stay." The noblewomen and servants were surprised at Minah's request, but everyone did as they were told. The women left Minah's chambers individually until she and Angelina were alone.

"Great, I'm going to get it now," Angelina thought. 

Minah eyed the young woman with an unreadable expression. "You speak with wisdom, but who are you really? From what I've been told, you were found in the forest. You speak differently than we do."

Angelina couldn't tell her the entire truth, or she would think she was insane. It looked as if Vlad didn't tell her either. It made her believe that husband and wife weren't close; their marriage was out of duty. "I-I am just Angelina, my Lady. I am from another country and enjoy history and travel. I was just...unfortunate to come into these circumstances."

"So you say that you working for me to be unfortunate?"

"It is not that, my Lady. I would have never imagined that I would be in your household. Someone like me couldn't dream of it. It's just that...I consider myself to be a free spirit. I enjoy learning about the world and the people around me. When a free-spirited person is trapped, one can view it as unfortunate. The need to know more of the world can become overwhelming."

Silence reigned again, and Angelina's neck began to hurt from looking down on the floor. She wanted to convince Minah that she views herself as a servant compared to her. 

"That story you have told. You have heard it in your travels?"

"Yes, my lady. When one travels, one hears many stories and languages. Although, I'm not good to learn new languages."

"And yet you speak our tongue so well."

This confused Angelina. How could she speak Romanian? When she traveled through the forest, did it change her understanding and speaking a language she didn't know? "I-I guess I learn from reading. Some people were kind enough to teach me. I don't have high confidence in myself at times." It wasn't entirely a lie, but she had to make it believable. 

"Look at me."

Angelina slowly looked at Minah, who sat poised and dignified, even with her pregnant belly. "You mentioned that there is more than meets the eye. When you see me, what do you see?"

It was a trick question that Angelina was afraid to answer. She didn't want to offend the noblewoman,, but it wouldn't be believable if she told her what she is used to hearing. Honesty was the only option. "I see someone who holds a great position but the position is not all it is to be. Your eyes look tired and sad." When Minah said nothing, Angelina continued. "When I see you, I see that you are misunderstood and are not listened to. Not the way you want to be listened. I imagine that being married to the Voivode can be draining since you are responsible to carry his heirs. You feel that you are more than that; that you have other precious gifts that he and no one can see or understand." The young woman took a deep breath. "I see a woman in cage who wants to be freed."

A cool chill was felt throughout the entire room. Angelina feared that Minah would have her punished. She looked back down, closed her eyes, bit her lower lip, and prepared for the worst. "That is what you see?"

"Yes, my lady," Angelina responded in a soft tone.

"Get out."

The young woman didn't need to be told twice. She took the opportunity to leave to not suffer a punishment. She bowed as she got out of the room. Once out, Angelina saw the other ladies-in-waiting. "Angelina, what is wrong?"

"I-I don't know. I don't know if I screwed up!" She ran away toward the servants quarters, ignoring Sorina's calls. 

Ioana watched on and then slowly entered Minah's room. The noblewoman sat still and quiet. "M-My lady? Are you well?" Minah was in a trance-like state and said nothing. However, Ioana was surprised to see something she had never seen. A single tear formed in Minah's left eye and dripped. Ioana said nothing and thought it was best to say nothing but realized that Angelina was more than a servant and it could lead her to more dangers.