Prepare

Angelina lay on her bed throughout the day, thinking guards would fetch her. No one did. She was afraid of looking at Minah in the eye. Her thoughts were interrupted when the door was opened; the female servants arrived. Angelina couldn't believe she stayed in the room all day; time had passed quickly. Sorina walked toward Angelina and sat beside her. "We saw you leave Lady Minah's room in a hurry. What happened?"

"She asked a question and I answered it the best I could. I-I don't know if she found it insulting or not." Angelina scruffled her hair in anxiety. "H-How was she when I left?"

"Well, she was quiet throughout the day. She hardly spoke a word." Sorina crossed her arms. "Lady Minah also looked thoughtful. Perhaps what you said was not taken as offensive. Would you like something to eat?"

Angelina was about to answer, but from the corner of her eye, she noticed Ioana walking toward them both. The young ladies stood as the older woman stood before them. "Angelina, I want you in my quarters. Sorina, go eat and rest."

The young ladies looked at one another and went their separate ways. Sorina glanced back at Angelina and was worried for her friend. When looking at the front, someone stood in her path. "I hear that your friend caused trouble again."

Sorina rolled her eyes. "You always like to hear the worst of those you find a threat, do you not, Daciana?"

Daciana put her hands on her hips and smirked. "Well, I care about the greater good of our Voivode. I would hate it if he was displeased."

"Oh, so you care about our Voivode? When was the last time you were called to his chambers? Our Voivode got tired of you. You couldn't please him very well."

Daciana trembled in rage and then grabbed parts of the upper parts of Sorina's dress. "You dare speak to me in that manner!? You are nothing but a worthless-!"

"Enough!" Everyone in the room flinched at Ioana's voice; Angelina stood by the door, watching everything unfold. Ioana walked toward the duo; Daciana let her go. They were quiet as the older woman stood before them; Ioana didn't look pleased. "I cannot seem to turn my back regarding the two of you." She looked at Sorina. "You know how Daciana is. You should have just ignored her and be on your way. Now go on." The adolescent nodded and went toward the exit; she and Angelina glanced at one another. "As for you. I am getting tired of your impertinence! If you cannot calm your temper and stop with the other women then I will dismiss you from this castle!"

The female servants gasped and whispered to one another. They knew that being dismissed from one's position was a terrible punishment. Many castle servants didn't have homes to go to; some had families they needed to help take care of. Daciana was lucky to have been a servant since her mother was a prostitute. Daciana had a difficult childhood. She never knew her father since he could have been one of her mother's clients. As Daciana grew older, her mother wanted to train her in the profession, which she refused. Daciana ran away and was found by Ioana, who gave her a position. The young woman was fortunate to be Vlad's mistress for a time, and it was the happiest moment of her life. However, Vlad became distant from her and chose other women as his mistresses. She knew that Vlad had a high position, and it was common for him to take other women. It hurt her, but she was willing to do anything if it meant to be by his side. If dismissed, she wouldn't be able to see Vlad again. "Forgive me, Lady Ioana. I know I lost my temper. I will not anger you again."

Ioana eyed her with emotionless eyes. "This will be your last warning. Lady Minah and the Voivode will agree with my position." She shooed the other women to go on with their business. Angelina was amazed at Ioana's authority; she could fill the hearts of women with fear. "Follow me." Before Angelina went out, she noticed Daciana giving her a deadly glare as she went to bathe. She ignored her and went to follow her elder. The women arrived in the room where Ioana closed the door. Once inside, a long white night down had laces in the front and flower decorations on the skirt. "The Voivode wants me to retrieve you for the night. He wants you to wear this."

Angelina couldn't believe she had forgotten that Vlad wanted her to visit him for the night. Her stomach was going to explode from the anxiety. "I-I don't know if I can do this..."

Ioana stood as she looked at the dress; she let out a soft smile. "I was like you once. I was naive and innocent, a fool to know of the world. However, there are things in life that are beyond one's control. You mustn't let fear overcome you or you will not be able to survive."

The young woman looked at Ioana. "Ioana, were you-?"

"It doesn't matter. Change, and I will personally take you to the Voivode's chambers. There is a secret passage we can go to so you are not seen. He doesn't want certain eyes to know. I will wait for you outside."

Ioana left the room, leaving Angelina alone. She slowly undressed and put on the beautiful nightgown; it fit her perfectly. A sigh escaped her. "I-I can do this. I won't let him get his way." Angelina opened the door and got out of the room. 

Ioana looked at her from head to toe. "You look lovely. Come along." Ioana led her to a hallway toward Vlad's room, but they went to a room resembling the armory. Angelina was confused but saw Ioana move one of the coat of arms away from the wall; there was a door handle. It was a secret door that led to a secret passage. The passage was pitch dark, but Ioana got a hold of her hand as she led Angelina through the darkness until she reached the end of the path. They made it at the door to Vlad's room. "We are here. As I said, take this as an opportunity to know him. There is much more to him that he allows others to see. I will pray for you." Ioana returned to the secret passage and closed it, leaving Angelina alone.

Angelina took a deep breath as she knocked on the door. "Enter." She slowly opened the door and peeked inside. Vlad sat by a table looking at some documents. His room was lit by many candles as a soft gust of wind went through the gated windows. She slowly entered and closed the door.

Vlad slowly looked up from his paperwork; they were finally alone again.