Festivities

The time arrived for the festivities; Angelina and the female servants bathed and got themselves ready to take the food to the dining hall. Angelina was nervous but was excited to see how people celebrated in the past. She would also meet nobles and other people of high influence. Ioana gave her a simple mustard-yellow dress with a dark brown belt. She was also braided with simple white petunias. "Are you ready?"

"Yes and no. I'm nervous. What happens if I fail?"

Ioana finished putting the last flower in the young woman's hair. You will not fail; I can sense that you are an intelligent woman. It is not common for people of low birth. It is one of your most vital attributes." She finished decorating Angelina's hair and looked at their reflection in the mirror; they were alone in her room. "Although you have intelligence, it is best to be careful how you display and use it. When you work in a castle with powerful people, you can make unnecessary enemies."

Angelina also looked in the mirror and noticed Ioana's concern. She knew that Ioana was spying on her, but blame couldn't be put upon her. There would be consequences if she disobeyed Vlad. She stood and smiled. "I will keep that in mind. What time am I expected to go?"

Meanwhile, other servants, including Sorina, welcomed the guests into Vlad's castle. The guests were boyars and their wives. The boyars were of higher nobility and held some political influence. The boyars and their wives wore their extravagant clothes as they tried to outshine the other. Some of the servants showed the guests to the dining hall, where many long tables were put in a rectangular manner. There were many food dishes, such as chorba, tripe, calf feet, nicely cut raw and cooked meat, meat and vegetable soups, fruits, and cooked potatoes. Wine and mead were in jars.

The boyars and their wives were impressed as they entered the dining room. Their voices echoed, and servants served them their drinks as the guests waited for their honored host. Angelina and Ioana eventually arrived. The young woman was motioned to wait in the corner of the room and not to interact with the guests. However, the view astonished Angelina and excited her to see how people in the past lived their lives. While waiting, many of the guests noticed her and would then ignore her. 

This made Angelina feel out of place when she remembered her situation and her place. She was made a servant. People like the boyars and of other nobility didn't hide their disdain for people they disapproved of. Her thoughts were interrupted when a trumpeter walked forward and played the instrument. Everyone slowly became silent as they saw Vlad in his best attire with his wife, Minah, walking behind him. As Vlad and Minah walked, everyone cheered for the couple. The duo got to the main table, sitting in their seats but not alone. Angelina noticed that Alexandrei was also in attendance and sat next to Vlad. "That ass!"

The cheers stopped, and Vlad motioned everyone to sit in their seats, and everyone did so. Vlad looked at his guests and smirked. "These fools, they don't know what awaits them." While looking at his surroundings, the servants were ordered to leave the room, and his guards surrounded the walls. They were on watch and waited for orders. His eyes reached one of the room's corners; Angelina stood silently. She looked curious while watching the festivities. He was curious about what tale she would tell. Vlad then stood up. "My honored guests, I thank you for coming today. I am certain you all were curious about the festivities. Well, I will tell you all after we had our fill and for our main event. So please, enjoy yourselves."

Everyone then began to get some food on their plates.  Vlad watched as everyone ate and drank.  Minah then motioned herself closer.  Husband, why is that woman here?"

"Because I will it. She is the main event."

"Yet, I was not informed."

Vlad slowly looked at his wife, and he blinked not once.  His eyes were emotionless and still; it made Minah look away.  Because it is unnecessary to inform you, I could have easily not invited you here.  You just think that you are with child, that you may say what you please.  Be careful how you speak to me; you can be easily replaced."