Voice

Angelina followed Vlad into his study while the other servants stared at her. The young woman didn't know what to expect, and Vlad, knowing his history, could expect the worst. Angelina knew that he was capable of doing anything to keep his power. If she were to survive, she would have to play his game. Eventually, they arrived at Vlad's study, which was decent-sized. It is composed of a wooden desk with a couple of shelves of books and scrolls. Cabinets with pottery and small statues, two windows, and a couple of fire torches lit up the room.

Two chairs were in front of his desk, but Angelina was made to stand by the guards. Vlad stood behind his desk and motioned the guards to leave, leaving the two alone. Angelina looked around. "Y-You have a beautiful study, sir."

Vlad raised an eyebrow. "You are not to speak until spoken to. You will no longer call me 'sir,' but wither Voivode or Lord. Understood?"

"Y-Yes, Voivode."

"Now. I still don't trust you, and even though you showed me things, you could still be a threat. You will stay here in my castle and be a servant of my household. You saw the consequences of what happens when I am disobeyed or lied to." A chill ran through Angelina's body, and they nodded in response. "You say that you're a traveler. Why would a woman travel alone? You wish to be killed or be taken?"

"W-With your permission to speak, V-Voivode. I mentioned to you that I am from another time and country more than four to five hundred years into the future. In my country and time, there are many nations where women can travel with and without company."

This surprised Vlad. "A woman can travel unaccompanied? What abomination is this you speak of?"

Angelina remembered that women in this era didn't have many rights, only women of nobility. She read in history books that Vlad was cruel to not only his enemies and innocent civilians who were men but also women. "I know it is a shock to hear this, but what I tell you is the truth, Voivode. As centuries progress, so do the thoughts and values of people and societies. Many wars happened, but also new laws and technology." Angelina smiled. "We have cars that drive through roads with speed. We have airplanes that fly in the skies to get to different countries within hours."

Vlad raised his right hand, and Angelina stopped talking. "You speak of unruly things." He then got Angelina's bag, which was taken, and took out more things. "What is this?"

"Oh, it's considered old in my time, but it's called an Apple iPod. In my time, they are out of style, but it comes in handy when there's no wifi. The iPod plays my favorite songs and music. M-May I show you?"

The Voivode nodded, and he let Angelina turn on the iPod. He was amazed that by simply touching it, it could make turns and movements. Angelina reached into her bag, and Vlad grabbed her hand. "What are you doing, woman?"

"I wanted to get my earphones to connect them with the iPod. If you want to hear the music to yourself, you use them. Look." She slowly lifted her hands and took the earphones. Vlad let go of her hand and watched her make the connections. "You must put them in your ears to hear the music."

"You think me as a fool."

Angelina sighed and put the earphones in her ears. Vlad heard a slight noise coming from them and saw Angelina smile. "Music always soothes me when I have stress in my life. Here." She motioned the earphones to him. "Do you want to put them on, or should I put them on for you?"

Vlad grabbed them and did what he saw Angelina do. Angelina pushed a button, and then Vlad heard music. He violently flinched as the music went into his ears. Angelina motioned out her hands, telling him to calm down. "Don't worry. Nothing will happen to you. Just listen and be at peace." She pushed the button again. Vlad heard music. He was surprised by the soft and powerful music; the one who sang was a woman. Never had he listened to a woman have a soft yet firm voice. The instruments also made an addicting sound. The combination was astounding.

To his surprise, the music made him feel at ease. The song made him so at ease that he sat on his chair and closed his eyes, listening to the song. He enjoyed how the woman sang. Eventually, the song ended. Vlad opened his eyes and looked at Angelina standing, looking at him. "D-Did you like it? The singer is Tarja Turunen, and her song is Phantom of the Opera. It's one of my favorites." 

"I did enjoy it. There is more music in this iPod?"

"Yeah, but the battery runs out, and I would have to charge it, but there are no plugs here. So we shouldn't use it entirely."

Vlad was silent for a moment and took off the earphones. "I desire to know more of your supposed time and listen to more of this iPod. You have much more to prove, so I have thought of a solution." He stood as he put the iPod down on his desk. "You will be one of my wife's lady-in-waiting. You will tend to and watch over her needs since she carries our child. You will inform me about her well-being. Also, you will become my mistress."

Angelina's eyes became wide. "E-Excuse me? Y-Your mistress?"

"It is as you heard. Since my wife is with child, I still have to tend to my needs. My wife will have no say in my decision."

She couldn't believe her ears. He wanted her to become his pleasure tool. "What happens if I don't want to become your mistress? I don't want to betray the woman I would be working for."

Vlad's expression became serious. "You have no say or have the right to disobey my orders. I do not like having my orders disobeyed."

"I know, but I have morals, respect for others, and my self-respect, Voivode. I cannot give my body to a man I have no feelings for or hold no feelings for me. Nonetheless, have respect for me. If I am to give myself to a man, it would be out of love and respect."

Vlad was quiet and then chuckled. "Interesting. You refuse my offer because you would rather have your honor and self-respect. You are different from my other mistresses. Well, you will soon change your mind. You will still work for my wife and sleep with the female servants. You and I will meet here again tomorrow night. "Guards!" The guards entered. "Take her to the female servant quarters."

The guard took Angelina out of his study, leaving him alone. Vlad sat back on his chair, put the earphones on, and played the song again.