Duties

"It is dawn, time to wake up!" announced Ioana.

Angelina woke up from her slumber as she stretched. When she woke up, her body felt sore. Her eyes were still groggy. However, Angelina sat up from the bed as she saw the rest of the women immediately getting off their beds and preparing themselves for the day.

"Good morning, Angelina. You must get yourself ready; Ioana disapproves of laziness." Sorina looked back and forth. "You might end up punished for not doing your duties well."

Angelina got off the bed and began to make it. Once finished, she dressed in the clothing that Ioana had given her the day before. She felt bizarre wearing the clothes of the past. However, she also felt curious since she had the opportunity to experience what people wore, ate, and lived in the past. She stood by the bed as she watched the other women preparing themselves. "Would you like me to brush your hair? Lady Minah doesn't like it when servants' strands of hair fall in her quarters."

"Uh, sure. My hair can be complicated."

Sorina shrugged her shoulders. "I do like a challenge." The teen motioned Angelina to sit on a wooden chair as she got a wooden comb and water. Sorina began to brush her hair and felt that many parts of her hair were tangled. "You haven't brushed your hair in a while."

"Well, let's say I had quite an adventure that I didn't have the time to take care of myself." The two were silent momentarily. "Sorina, how is it working for Lady Minah?"

The adolescent stopped brushing her hair as she put in some water. "She can be...difficult at times. You can say that Lady Minah loves perfection. She is not afraid to punish her servants for a mere error."

It was as Angelina feared; Minah was as cruel as her husband. Surprisingly she couldn't entirely fault the noblewoman; her husband didn't have the greatest reputation. "H-Have you ever been punished?"

Sorina stilled for a few seconds but then tied Angelina's hair in a bun. "Many times. I will show you how to do your duties. I am certain that Lady Minah will allow you to receive your education on how to serve her well. You're ready."

"Thank you, Sorina. I think you and I will become good friends."

"Friends, eh? Yet, you are older than I."

Angelina shrugged her shoulders. "Well, times have changed. Besides, at times like these, one needs at least a friend to survive."

"I guess you're right, but now we must have breakfast. I will show you the kitchen." All the women walked out of the quarters and through the halls toward a kitchen where many servants were cooking or eating. On the tables were plates and bowls of bread, meats, cheese, and fruits. Angelina felt her stomach growl with hunger. She followed Sorina's lead, and the two got their plates of food. "We must always eat in a hurry; the Lords and Ladies will soon wake."

The young woman noticed how everyone was quickly eating their breakfast. The food was decent, but Angelina thought most of the food lacked flavor. She couldn't complain since she had traveled to the past. However, she and everyone finished their food and left the dishes to the kitchen workers. Ioana stood by the exit as the female servants stood before her. "Remember your duties well. Lady Minah is with child, and she requires more care." She looked at Angelina and motioned her to come to her. "I will introduce you to Lady Minah. You are to bow to her and not look at her in the face until ordered. Whatever she orders, you must do. Understand?"

"Yeah."

"Everyone, to your duties. Sorina, make certain to bring Lady Minah's breakfast. Let's go." Many women followed Ioana, while others went to other parts of the castle. The ladies-in-waiting walked up many stairs until they reached the castle's upper part. They got to a nicely decorated part of the castle with portraits, banners, and other statues. The ladies stopped in front of a large wooden door; Ioana walked ahead and gently knocked on the door. "Lady Minah, it is morning."

It was silent for a few seconds until everyone heard a faint response. "Enter."

Ioana opened the door and entered first; the rest followed suit. Once inside, Ioana motioned Angelina to stand by the door while the ladies-in-waiting opened the curtains and prepared the clothing, jewelry, and hair utensils.

Minah was still lying on her bed as she stretched out her arms and slowly sat up from her bed. "Lady Minah, we bid you good morning." Ioana and the ladies-in-waiting bowed. Sorina put the tray of food on the beautifully decorated table. Minah stood and went to eat her breakfast. As she sat, Minah noticed Angelina. "Why is she here?"

All were silent and stood behind the noblewoman. Sorina looked at Angelina and slightly nodded, telling her to remain calm. Ioana motioned Angelina to walk forward, but she stopped to have space between her and the noblewoman. The young woman bowed but did not look Minah straight in the face. "My Lady, our Voivode ordered her to be one of your ladies-in-waiting."

Minah looked displeased. "Yet, he suspects her as a spy and wants her under my wing. My husband has truly lost his mind. Look at me." The young woman slowly lifted her head and looked at Minah. "What is your name again?"

"Angelina, my Lady. I promise to work hard for you."

The room was silent; only the echoes of men outside were heard. "I do not and will not trust you until my husband says so. I expect nothing but the best from my servants. Any wrongdoing, and I will hesitate to have you punished. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my Lady." 

"Lady Minah, I decided to have Sorina teach her of her duties to serve you. She-"

Minah motioned out her hand. "She will learn on her own. Everyone here learned on her own, and so will she. She will learn the easy and hard way. After finishing my breakfast, I want my bath drawn." She looked at Angelina. "You are to go and prepare my bath."

"Wh-Where is your bath located so I may prepare it for you?" Angelina saw Sorina mouthing out 'next door.' She smiled. "Never mind, I will figure it out on my own. Enjoy your breakfast, my Lady." Angelina walked out of the room and to the next room, where there was a large wooden tub with a fireplace, bathing materials, and more. She knew that she had to warm the water up, and to her luck, the fireplace was on. All she had to do was warm the water up. "This will probably be one of my worst jobs ever."