Prologue

2004

We were on our way to Charlie's birthday party. It was pouring rain outside.

"Let's go," my mom told me and my dad, "we'll be late for Charlie's birthday party!"

We all got into the car and my dad started the car.

"Is everyone ready to go?"

"Yes!"

He started to drive. Almost instantly he turned on the windshield wipers.

"How about we just go back home and wait until the rain slows down a bit? I'm sure Charlie's parents will understand." My mom suggested. "Besides you can barely see out the window!"

"I can see perfectly fine." My dad insisted, but we all knew he couldn't. The windshield wipers weren't doing much and the only thing we could see out the front window was grey from the fog and rain, and faint lights.

He switched lanes, but it was the wrong one. The cars weren't going the same way we were. Another car smashed into ours and we flew into a ditch.

I started to cry. "Mommy! Daddy!" "Are you okay, baby?" My mothers struggled voice came from the front of the car.

"Y-Yeah.." I responded.

•••

We heard sirens. "We're getting out of here soon." My mom reassured me. I could barely hear her voice now. She was squished up against the dash board. The front of the car was in the ground and was crushing my parents.

I heard a 'clunk' hit the back of the car. Help was here. We were lifted out of the ditch and as soon as we were on ground, police officers fought the doors open.

As soon as the doors were open, the police and some doctors, dragged my dads limp body out of the car. Same with my mom's.

A police officer carried me out of my car seat and put me on a stretcher.

"Where we goin'?" I asked him. He looked at me with a sad look in his eyes and said, "A safe place where you will get better." I smiled at him and he smiled back.

•••

My dad didn't survive. He went into a coma and never woke up. The doctors decided to shut off his life support.

My mother cried for months and she couldn't handle the pain, so she turned to alcohol for help. It started out as just get getting drunk but after time, she started going to clubs so she could get high, party away her life and hook up with strangers.

She came home some nights as drunk and high as possible. Most nights she didn't even come home.

When she did come home, I tried helping her since she struggled to get in. I never helped again after the first night when she shoved me into the wall.

Ouch. Why would she do this? I know she misses dad but instead of taking out her misery on her child she could do something else. Does she even know how much her daughter hurts?

I never made the mistake of trying to help again. Everyday I would try my best to avoid her. I stayed in my room until I heard her leave then, I would go downstairs and eat some of the little amount of food we had.

I never wanted to go downstairs. It meant beatings. Every time she saw me she would hit me. Kicking, punching, throwing me around the room until I screamed at her to stop.

Sometimes when my luck was worse, she would barge into my room and beat me in there instead of downstairs.

Every night I went to sleep hungry and hurt. I felt so alone.

•••

2010

I did this for a couple years, sneaking around trying to get food, hiding from my devil mother and hoping that one day I would have the courage to call the police.

Finally one day, I called them.

"Hello, 911 what is your emergency?"

"Thank god!" I cried. "I've needed to call you for years! It's my mother. She hits me every night and starves me! If I didn't sneak around when she went to the club, I would be dead." There was silence.

After about a minute he began to respond "We will-" but I didn't hear him finish because my mother came in. She saw me and started yelling, "CRYSTAL! WHO ARE YOU TALKING TOO?!?"

She charged at me, the fastest she could in her drunken state, and threw the phone on the ground. Then it smashed into a hundred pieces.

"Who did you call?" My mother screamed. I didn't answer. She punched me hard in the stomach. "WHO DID YOU CALL?"

We both heard nearby sirens. "You called the police!?"

Yes. "No." I lied.

She slapped me hard across my face and pushed me so hard I fell over and hit my head on the hardwood floor.

The sirens were getting louder and my vision was going blurry. The pain was so bad from her hitting my head multiple times yesterday and then the floor today.

All I could remember from the rest of that day was, a police officer kicking down the door and pulling my mother away.

Another one came in and carried me away. "It's okay. You're safe now."

He said. It sounded like the man on the phone.

Maybe it was.

__________________________