Chapter 16 - An Ex-Girlfriend From the Past

After more than five hours of flying in the air. Maverick decides to head back to the airport and land his aircraft. He double checks his instrument panels once again for any system failure. Including the engine and the fuselage. He didn't want to make the same mistake again with Enterprise on board his plane riding in the backseat. Once he's done checking everything he asks Enterprise if she enjoyed flying inside an airplane.

Maverick: Did you enjoy the long flight Entey?

Enterprise: I would be lying if I say I didn't. I enjoyed every minute of it Doodzki.

Maverick: That's good to know. Anyways we are heading back to the airport.

Enterprise: I wish I can experience this all over again. I never thought that I would enjoy the tranquility of flying in the air without thinking about the possibility of being shot down by the enemy.

Maverick: Don't worry Entey. Once the Siren threat has been completely eradicated. We will be doing this over and over again.

Enterprise: Aren't you tired of flying an aircraft Doodzki?

Maverick: No Entey. It has been my childhood dream to be a naval aviator. I'll never get tired of flying.

Enterprise: Do you always fly dangerously?

Maverick: Not exactly. I was like Willy before. But an unfortunate incident in my life made me change the way I fly.

Enterprise: Is it the accident that Secretary Metcalf was talking about?

Maverick: Yes. Until now I still feel responsible for Samantha's death. Maybe if I double checked everything she would still be alive. We would've been married by now and I won't be Azur Lane's base commander.

Enterprise: Doodzki you don't have to carry that burden anymore. You have already closed that chapter of your life. I can't say that I was once in your shoes. But I know how it feels to lose someone close to you.

Maverick: You're talking about the pilots who never returned to you when you were still a ship. Am I correct?

Enterprise: Yes. Many of them perished during Midway. Some died at Santa Cruz, while the others were captured by the enemy. And the worst came during the invasion of Okinawa. That day where you mentioned about a skilled unknown Japanese fighter pilot was able to take me out of the war. Because of that I became afraid of the ocean despite being the strongest warrior of Eagle Union.

Maverick: Let's get back to the hotel once we land. We'll continue our conversation when we get there.

Enterprise: Ok Doodzki.

Maverick makes a smooth landing and taxis his personal jet to the hangar. As soon as he stops the jet. The ground crew begin maintenance on the vintage fighter jet after the engines cooled down. Maverick then pays the guys for their work on the aircraft. He and Enterprise return to the hotel and continue their conversation. They tell each other about their lives prior to entering military service. They both start to pack up their clothes and prepare for their trip back to Azur Lane. The minute he finishes packing his clothes. Maverick's phone rings while he's resting and waiting for Enterprise to finish taking a shower.

Maverick answers the phone to know who is calling him.

Phone conversation between Maverick and the person calling him:

Maverick: Lt. Cdr. Wilfredo Fernandez speaking. Who is this?

????: "Maverick this is Defense secretary Metcalf. You got a minute?"

Maverick: Secretary Metcalf. I have a minute. What can I do for you sir?

Sec. Metcalf: "It's about your request for adequate base defenses."

Maverick: What about it sir?

Sec. Metcalf: "The president has approved your request after I had a long chat with him. It looks like you and the president are on the same page."

Maverick: Does that mean I can have my base completely restructured for the construction of the defense weapons and my own squadron?

Sec. Metcalf: "Yes! I also told him everything about Azur Lane headquarters. He doesn't want it to fall into enemy hands."

Maverick: That's great to hear sir.

Sec. Metcalf: "By the way Maverick."

Maverick: Yes sir?

Sec. Metcalf: "Are you free tomorrow night?"

Maverick: Yes sir. I'm totally free tomorrow night. Why do you ask sir?

Sec. Metcalf: "My wife and I are planning on having dinner at a fancy restaurant here in DC. She wants to see you after a long time. I think she wants to know how you have been doing since the accident.

Maverick: No problem sir. I'd love to see Mrs. Metcalf again. I hope that you and your wife mind if I bring Enterprise along with me.

Sec. Metcalf: "Of course you can bring her along with you. My wife wants to meet the famous ship girl who saved humanity from the Sirens."

Maverick: Then it's settled sir. We will definitely meet you and your wife tomorrow night sir.

Sec. Metcalf: "Alright Maverick. I'll see you tomorrow night."

Maverick: Yes sir. See you tomorrow night sir.

Sec. Metcalf: "Goodbye Maverick."

Maverick: Goodbye sir.

(They both hang up.)

End of phone conversation.

As soon as Maverick's phone conversation with Sec. Metcalf ended. Enterprise has just finished taking a shower. The former hotshot fighter pilot then takes a shower himself. After that he casually dries up his body and gets dressed up in normal clothes. He calls up the hotel's room service and orders what they are going to have for lunch. Once they finished eating, Maverick turns on his laptop and clicks on his social media account. He is surprised to see at least 50 notifications on his account. Most of them are greetings from his former carrier strike group and his former classmates. All of them are greeting him a happy birthday and wishing the ex-naval aviator to have a new girlfriend as well. He replies to them and thanks them for greeting him on his special day today.

Meanwhile Enterprise is lying on the other bed and reading a magazine that hotel provides for its guests. It's a fashion magazine that she's reading. She reads everything thoroughly and tries to memorize every tip on how to be a fashionable woman. On the other side of the room, Maverick is standing on the veranda of his room looking at the sky above. He then reminisces his time as a new recruit in the navy. Just as he is remembering the times he was training to become a fighter pilot. 2 F-16 Vipers appears on the horizon. They are doing aerial patrol duties because of the Siren threat. Maverick unintentionally salutes the two jets and then goes back inside to have his usual after lunch siesta.

Time Skip:

The following day Maverick and Enterprise meet up with Defense Secretary Metcalf and his wife at the restaurant that the latter mentioned. The secretary's wife is awed by Enterprise's beauty and grace. And by the hotshot pilot's dashing looks. They then sit in a table for 4 people. The waiter gives them the menu and they start picking what to eat and drink. Minutes later they say their orders to the waiter. As soon as they finish ordering, the waiter heads to counter and gives the orders to the cashier. While waiting for their order, a mysterious woman walks in the restaurant. The minute she passes by Maverick's table, the woman turns her head and immediately recognizes the former hotshot pilot. She was one of the three admirals daughters that Maverick had dated before going into a relationship with his late girlfriend Samantha Blakely. The night became awkward for Maverick as he didn't expect to see his first ex-girlfriend.