Chapter 20 - Sly Fox the Quintuple Ace

As Maverick's 737 aircraft enters the Pacific Time Zone. The former hotshot naval aviator is enjoying his sleep after eating breakfast. As he goes into dreamland, Enterprise can't help but smile at him. Even though they didn't get into good terms on his first day of being a base commander. She's happy that she gets to interact with the man who resembles the pilot she once knew. A small frown on her face appears as she vaguely remembers what happened at the restaurant. The sight of Maverick's ex-girlfriend flirting with him made her want to kill the woman with her bow and arrow. Then she thinks about what will happen if she actually did it. She knows that it's going to be an embarrassment for Maverick. And she might not be fully allowed to return to active duty as a ship girl. She's Eagle Union's strongest carrier. A symbol of hope for humanity. Only to be tarnished with the accusation of being a murderer. Once again she sees the picture of Maverick and his late girlfriend Samantha Blakely.

She also remembered what the hotshot fighter pilot said back then at the restaurant in Washington DC

Maverick: "Sorry Audrey. I have no more plans of entering a relationship again. After I lost Samantha, I've lost that loving feeling."

It felt like she was shot by her own arrow after hearing those words from the former naval aviator. In her mind she knows that it's difficult to replace a woman who has made Maverick happy. But she is hellbent on not giving up. Even if he doesn't reciprocate her love for him. She won't stop loving Maverick and taking care of him. Just when she is about to tear up again. She hears an unexpected statement coming straight out of the mouth of Maverick.

Maverick: I love you Entey.... I will put my life on the line for you. I know that you're not going to allow death to stand in between us. I will always assure you that I will return safe and sound after every combat sortie. Please don't make me worry about you as well. I have lost Samantha already. I don't want to lose you also. I will always love you Entey.

Even though she can barely hear what Maverick said. Enterprise felt happy upon hearing those words. Once again a beautiful smile appears on her face. She decides to stand up from her seat and sit beside Maverick. She leans against his left arm and puts her head on his shoulder. She sleeps on it while carefully holding his hand. As she goes into dreamland herself. Enterprise remembers the last time Lt. Willy "Sly Fox" Fernandez kissed her flight deck before taking off. It was an unexpected final tour of duty for the Filipino fighter pilot.

Flashback:

1944 Somewhere in the coast off the Marianas Islands.

USS Enterprise (CV-6 )

06:30:00 am

VF-84 Jolly Rogers fighter squadron.

Two pilots are getting ready to board their F6F Hellcats. One of them decides to kiss the flight deck before getting inside his plane. The other pilot is shocked at what did. He decides to ask why is he kissing the carrier's flight deck.

????: Hey Sly Fox!

Sly Fox: Yes Jellybean?

Jellybean: Why are you kissing the carrier's flight deck? Is it for good luck purposes?

Sly Fox: No. It's not only for good luck purposes. But also an assurance to her that I will return safely and in one piece after our combat sorties. Enterprise is my second home. And all of you guys here are my second family. Once this war is over Jellybean. Remind me to treat you to some barbecue and beer in my motherland the Philippines.

Jellybean: You got it partner. Thanks for being my wingman and my best friend.

Sly Fox: Don't mention it. Hey wanna kiss her flight deck too?

Jellybean: No thanks. I'm sure the girl doesn't want another man kissing her flight deck.

Sly Fox: Haha! You got that right. But I don't think that she will be jealous if I marry Kaluna.

Jellybean: That girl you met back at Pearl?

Sly Fox: Yup. Man must be destiny that brought us together. I was just the new guy here when I met her. And she was just a new girl at the bar.

Jellybean: Man you are really one hell of a sly fox back there. You were the quiet type when you arrived. But nailing down Kaluna in a bar. You definitely caught us all by surprise. So when are you going to marry here?

Sly Fox: After we get rid of the Japs in the Philippines.

Jellybean: Congratulations and best wishes in advance bro.

Sly Fox: Thanks bro.

Both pilots end their conversation and get inside their Hellcats. Little did Sly Fox know that it's going to be the last time he will see his friend and wingman. Both of them start up their engines while damage control personnel stand by with their fire extinguishers just in case they unintentionally blow up and catch fire. Both of them give the thumbs up to the shooter and get ready to take off from the carrier.

Time Skip:

Both pilots and their fellow naval aviators are now over the airspace of the Marianas Islands. They were already expecting heavy resistance from the Japs as they come in. But it was the complete opposite of what they were expecting. Poorly trained Jap pilots could barely keep up with them. Sly Fox has turned into a quadruple ace in three weeks of combat sorties. He is now aiming for his 25th kill. But his wingman isn't as lucky as him. A hotshot Jap pilot was able to flame his ass. Sly Fox gets shocked as Jellybean is going down in flames. He quickly radios Jellybean to bailout before he crashes into the ocean below the combat zone.

Sly Fox: Jellybean bailout bro! Bailout!

Jellybean: "Sorry bro. Looks like this is the end of the skies for me. That Zeke got me real good."

Sly Fox: Don't you dare die on me bro! I have to fulfill my promise to you to come over to my motherland and treat you to some barbecue and beer!

Jellybean: "I'm sorry bro. Looks like you are going to do that alone. It's been a pleasure flying with you."

Sly Fox: Jellybean! No! Jellybean!

All he got is static after Jellybean's final message. He soon sees his wingman's aircraft plunging towards the ocean. As soon as it hits the water. An explosion occurs as the aircraft touches the surface of the ocean. It's the last time he saw his wingman. With fatigue setting in despite being in an infamous turkey shoot. The hotshot pilot goes for one last kill. He sets his sights on the Jap pilot who killed his wingman. In one short burst of gunfire. The A6M Zero bursts into a ball of flame as Sky Fox hits the enemy's fuselage. He returns to Enterprise on a sad note. Because of the fatigue setting in. He struggles to maintain his balance in the air as he comes in for a landing. Sly Fox crash lands on the carrier with one of his landing gear failing to open. He decides to quit the navy after that day. Eventually he married Kaluna after two weeks prior to Enterprise having number one elevator deck blown off. After that he became a test pilot for Grumman. He enjoyed his civilian life until he died of old age.

Present Day:

Enterprise is enjoying her slumber on Maverick's shoulder when one of the 737's crew politely wakes up the former hotshot fighter pilot. They are now within Azur Lane's airspace and getting ready to land. Enterprise wipes the tears off her eyes after remembering Willy. Maverick on the other hand is still asleep. The ship girl decides to tell the crew member that she will personally wake up the base commander herself. The crew member obliges and returns to his post at the back of the aircraft.