Chapter 13

Hagen's P.O.V

This was not how I imagined tonight going. Not even close.

When I'd mustered up the courage to ask my dad to invite the Amorenias for dinner, I'd done so thinking everyone else would be a buffer between Nik, me, and whatever the fuck came over us when we were alone. But the reality was, I craved being around Nikola so much now I physically couldn't stay away.

I'd tried to bury my head in the sand about it before, but there was no denying the way I reacted to Nikola now, or how much I liked those reactions.

Looking back, it hadn't just been naive to believe that I'd be able to spend the entire night only speaking to him in small amounts, and amongst our families, pretending to be model compadres. It had been straight-up delusional because he hadn't even been here for ten minutes, and here we were, alone and closer than ever.

"I can mask it."

I blink past my thoughts to focus on Nikola who was still standing only inches from me, his left hand gripping my right and his other on my hip.

I thought I'd hate it– holding hands, having him hold me– that I'd want to pull away and run, but it was the opposite. If anything, his touch was quickly evolving into yet another thing about Nikola that I was becoming addicted to.

"Hagen."

"Sorry, what?" I try to focus, but it's hard with the everpresent thrum of pleasure that had accosted me from the moment Nik had asked me if I liked him scenting me.

Truth was, I hadn't just liked it– I desperately wanted him to do it again.

"I can mask our scents," he explains with a now slightly strained voice. "I can make it so that when we return, we won't smell any different from when we left."

Right. We were going back to have dinner with our families and it would be better if nothing we did in here showed out there. Though we hadn't done anything, at least nothing like last time. There were traces of Nikola on me now, and although it wasn't strong, I knew my family wouldn't miss it, even if they all lost their noses by some miracle.

Nikola's proposal was probably the smart thing to do, and it was definitely something I would've pounced on a few weeks ago, but now the suggestion only made my insides churn uncomfortably.

"No," I reply, clearing my throat. "It's fine. They all saw us leave together, so it doesn't matter."

Grey eyes narrow on me, "Are you sure? I won't be offended, Hagen. I only want you to be comfortable."

Zyair swoons, and fuck, I'm right there with him.

Maybe I'd been too concerned with his faults at the start to notice, but now it was impossible to miss how earnest Nikola was when he spoke. He had always been honest and straightforward, but when combined with his confidence and undeniable concern for my feelings, I found myself forgetting my own name.

"I mean it, Hagen," Nikola continues, mistaking my silence for indecision. "If you wish it, I will do it."

A shitton of butterflies take flight inside of me, fluttering about until my blood has nowhere to go but up and into my face. I didn't get butterflies, at least never with Nikola, but I'd crushed on enough girls to know the feeling, and fuck— they were swarming for him right now.

I clear my throat again and force myself to nod fervently, "I'm sure. Don't even worry about it. We should just get back now. We've been here for a while and hungry wolves don't understand patience."

Nikola chuckles a little, "Once you're sure."

"I am," I promise. "We didn't even—" I swallow, flashes of that night on the back porch crossing my mind. "It wasn't like last time."