Chapter 24

Don't forget to comment and good luck!

----

Nikola's P.O.V

I stare at Hagen as he talks animatedly with my dad. They'd already had their promised tour of the Arthenaum, so I didn't know what else there was to say about the library when neither of them had magic, but they were defying the odds.

Whatever the topic was, I didn't care to know it. In fact, I didn't care to know a thing beyond my mate. My stubborn, infuriatingly perfect mate who was on a quest to drive me insane.

Hagen had surprised me today, but only in the very best way.

I thought I was getting things right between Hagen and me, listening to his requests and taking things step by step- which had yielded its own positive results, but now, a new piece of my mate had revealed itself that defied all of that.

Hagen wanted to be pushed.

I always knew that, to some extent– that Hagen would resist what was best for him just because he could– because he didn't like to be told what to do. When I was younger, I thought if I knew what he needed, then his complaints didn't matter, but that had been my mistake.

Hagen needed to allow it first, to grant permission before I was free to take him.

He had today, in his own way, and now, I could only think of all the wonderful things I would do to him once we were alone.

There were, however, certain constraints. I understood I could not push him too far– if we were intimate too quickly, then what happened in the kitchen would happen again. But there was much room to probe the fine line between what were Hagen's limits and what he thought they were.

I wanted to master them immediately– his limits, but even as hours passed, every time I asked Hagen to leave, his eyes got this delighted gleam as he said 'no'.

My hands itched to grab him and take him anyway, but this was part of the game, I suppose. I could only have him when he said I could, and until then, I had to wait.

It made me ache all over with both annoyance and rampant desire. I hated to be made to wait, but this time, it was exciting in its own way– to not be able to do a thing other than watch, and wait, and imagine.

And by the plains, I was imagining it all.

My mind was overrun with images of him splayed across his bed, his lips swollen and wet with the evidence of my claim. Of him, squeezed between me and the corner of his couch, making the very best sounds while he clung to me as if I were all he needed.

Swallowing, I take a deep breath and then another to cool the pool of lust that was steadily growing. Hagen's resistance, in its own way, was like an aphrodisiac, but with the addition of his body covered in my scent and clothing, he was the very image of temptation to me right now.

As if sensing my eyes on him, Hagen looks across to where Ma and I lounged amongst a pile of pillows and blankets, and his gaze settles on me with no trouble. He tenses, but then he relaxes almost immediately. Shifting, he blinks twice, those pretty eyes holding me captive until I belatedly catch the smirk that spreads across his face as he shakes his head.

No.

I feel my jaw lock so tight, I swear I might break bone. Our bond burns like an open flame, sparking as if it were about to combust, and it takes restraining myself with my own magic to keep me down. Hagen sees it, he must've, because his grin widens before he turns his back on me and returns his attention to his conversation.

When I had him, I was going to drag him into madness with me.

"Everything okay?"

Blinking away from my impish mate, I look to my Ma, who eyes me with strange concern.