Chapter 14

Wrote this chapter to Betrayal by Ludwin Goransson - song is in the Control Playlist on my spotify

Ignore the movie poster, this is serious lmfaoo

-------

Hagen's P.O.V

"Nikola."

The surface of my mirror ripples in a shadow movement. Starting at its corners, the old magic tries to answer before it tappers out.

The gentle tremor is like a warning, or rather, a question; did I truly want to do this?

In the reflection, I saw all the confusion, anger and hurt that swarmed inside me, and though I knew it was a dangerous mix, I couldn't think beyond it.
I couldn't make myself go to bed so that I could try to face this tomorrow with a clearer head because I knew even if I waited, it'd be no better tomorrow.

I needed to speak to Nikola now because what Peter had told me in the kitchen wasn't enough. I needed to hear it from him so then maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it felt right now.

"Nikola," I call again, and this time the mirror's ripples turn into small waves as it comes to life until it's buzzing with magic for the first time in years.

Swallowing, I take a step back and try to steel myself for the moment he'd step through.

Mate Awareness. For all intents and purposes, it made sense for it to appear between Nikola and me. If there was any pair of mates that needed something extra to bring them together, it was us, but even so, hearing of it now felt so misplaced. Not because of what it was, but because I was only now learning of its existence between us.

An entire month had passed, and I hadn't known.

How didn't I know?
Shouldn't I have known or at the very least, felt something?

The questions kept circling my mind, but I wasn't sure if it was guilt driving them or my attempt to make excuses for Nikola keeping this from me.

Goddess, I hoped it was a misunderstanding. I hoped Peter had gotten confused or something wrong had been said between him and Dad.

I hoped it was anything other than it seemed because if it was then... I wouldn't know what to do.

The mirror's surface shifting outwards breaks the quiet and makes my insides become a cramped, sickly mess as a body presses against it from the other side.

His hand comes first and then the rest of him follows as steps through his own portal between my room and his. It's just like he used to years before, except this time, I'd called him, and when Nikola jumps down from the top of my wardrobe, the floor shakes slightly from his weight.

He straightens and meets my gaze with those piercing grey eyes, and within an instant, all the emotions stirring inside of me become a torrential blur of madness.

I wasn't used to facing him when we were like this— on good terms. I wasn't used to feeling anger around the version of him who made me feel safe.
Before, I'd yell and he'd smirk and I'd hate him for it, but now, when I was so familiar with the delirious happiness I felt around him, I didn't want to yell or fight— Goddess, I really didn't want to fight.

Please be a misunderstanding.

Nikola takes a step forward, his lips already quirked in that small smile of his.

"Nikola," he stops immediately.

Either sensing something or hearing it in my voice, Nikola doesn't move an inch other than in his brows which become slightly furrowed.