TWO

Song of the Chapter: Judgement Day by Stealth

-------------------------------

The blaring sound of my alarm wakes me up. I sigh deeply, hitting the snooze button on my alarm, before turning around in my bed once more.

I will enjoy the comfort of my warm bed for as long as I can. I can feel myself drifting off to sleep when the alarm starts blaring again. 

"I hate you." I mutter, turning off the alarm and walking to my shower. I let the hot beams of water glide over my body, the muscles in my body relaxing immediately. I hadn't even realised I was that tense, the hot water making me realise I had. 

The reason to my tenseness is obvious: the Dutch Grand Prix is today. 

Or at least the qualifying is today, and I'll be performing in the fanzone. I take a few deep breaths before turning off the water and stepping out of the shower. 

I quickly get into the clothes Ava had picked for me. She's just much better at picking out what to wear than I am. I'd prefer to walk around in sweatpants and a hoodie, and I'd do that everyday if you let me. 

I curl my hair, before putting it in a high ponytail. The warm summer air making it so that I prefer my hair tied rather than loose. I then apply some make-up, light not too much since it'll be windy near the sea. 

I am almost done fixing my appearance when I hear the doorbell ring, before hearing a key twist in the lock. It's what Ava always does when she enters my apartment. Put the key in the whole, ring the bell and twist the key. I don't know why she does that though, I keep wanting to open the door every time she does it. 

"Good morning." She says, handing me a Starbucks cup. "It's green tea, it'll soothe your throat." 

I take the cup from her, thanking her. I put two slices of bread into the toaster, mashing an avocado and applying it on the toast. We eat breakfast together in silence. I do not want to show Ava how nervous I actually am. But I don't think I have to, I think she already knows. Ava has been with me so long that she'll see right through it. Even if that's the truth she doesn't tell it though, knowing if I don't talk about it myself, I'd rather not talk about it at all. 

"Are you ready to go?" Ava asks after I put our dishes in the dishwasher. 

"I am, let me grab my bag and we can go." I tell her. Grabbing my backpack with the essentials I need to perform, as well as my normal necessities like my wallet and passport. 

The drive to Zandvoort isn't really that long, but we have to queue quite some time. The city of Zandvoort is only accessible for cars with a special permission, stewards having to check every single car for that matter. 

"Performing artist." Ava says to the security guard, handing our permission slip. He looks at it, says something into his radio and then motions for us to continue driving. We're in. Or better said, we're on the road to the paddock. 

Ava is let to a parking ground, where we are met by one of the event managers. He'll probably show us around and will make sure we're every where on time. I've been at events and many go just like this. 

"I'm Mitchell." The guy waiting for us says. "I'll be guiding you around the paddock and fan zone for the next two days." A smile on his face. 

"Thank you." I tell him, and he motions for us to follow him. 

It doesn't take long for us to end up backstage in the fan zone. Mitchell guiding us through the crowd smoothly. I have to admit, most people didn't even pay attention to us, and I actually liked it. It's not that weird, people aren't here for the concerts. They're here for the drivers, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them don't even know who I am. 

I hand the receiver to my in-ears to the technician behind the stage, while plugging my own receiver in as well and connecting it to my shorts. I tell the technician my preferred settings as well, while he nods in confirmation. It's common for events like this not to have soundchecks and absolutely hate it, but we'll have to make it work. 

"Give it up for Aimee Halstead!" The guy on the stage says, signalling for me to get on the stage. A cheer erupts from the crowd that has gathered as I walk onto the stage.  

People actually seem to enjoy me being here, and I have to admit, the atmosphere this crowd is giving is really pleasant. I even decide to sing one of my older, Dutch songs right on the spot. I don't think I've sang that in over two years, but the crowd seems to love it. 

From the stage I can look into the different merchandise stands. My eyes fall on four men talking in between the McLaren and Red Bull stands. They are all wearing caps and sunglasses to not stand out. But I have to admit, all these people are freaking stupid for not realising Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez, Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo are right behind them. 

I move onto the next song in my set, when I notice someone has discovered the drivers. Security guards quickly to their side, as they try to leave the fan zone before it turns into chaos. I chuckle lightly while singing as I see the scene in front of me unfolding. It's very funny I must admit. 

"You did great, I loved that you did a few Dutch song as well!" Ava says as I get off the stage. I just take the bottle of water from her hand. I really need to hydrate as it is quite hot and I'm very good in forgetting to drink water. 

"I could just tell the crowd would like that." I tell her, loving the fact that I could actually change up my sets while performing. 

"They definitely did." Ava says as we're following Mitchell. It's time for a tour around the paddock. 

We follow Mitchell around, he shows us the straight in which all the hospitalities are located, informing us that the place is dependant on where they are in the constructors championship. Me having watched Drive to Survive was already aware of that, but I let him hold his talk anyway. We then walk into the pit lane, and I have to admit it looks bigger on TV. It's amazing how the drivers can manage to fit their cars into the respective pit boxes so well. 

We continue walk up to the Red Bull box, where Max Verstappen and his team are getting ready for qualifying in about an hour. I had requested to see the Red Bull garage if possible, because it's the one team where a Dutchman is driving. 

Max is walking around  seemingly relaxed, while Checo is nowhere to be seen. But I respect that, both drivers getting ready on their own terms. It's like a festival every artist getting ready in their own way. 

"Hi Aimee." Max says as we're getting a quick explanation about qualifying and how it is for the engineers. Mitchell is talking about the qualifying format, something I'm well aware of. 

"Hi Max." I greet Max, we've met up a few times in Monaco. Both being Dutch you just have something you can bond over. It's not like we're friends, we just know each other. 

"Good to see you here, wish we could talk more, but I've gotta run. Loved the performance though." He says, referring to my performance earlier. The one he was at with three other drivers. 

"Thanks, Good luck, go get them!" I tell him, before Mitchell decides it's our turn to continue too. 

------------------------

*Edited 22-08-2023*