NINETEEN

Song of the chapter: Stiekem by Maan & Goldband (I know it's a Dutch song but I freaking love it and it fits the chapter perfectly.)

Also let me know if you'd mind if I'd add more Dutch song of the chapters :)—————————————

We drive up to a small barbecue restaurant in an Austin suburb. Only about ten tables in the restaurant but it looks very cute. And not many people seem to be paying attention to us, which I take as a very good thing. The server quickly guides us to a table in the corner, giving us as much privacy as possible. He clearly recognises at least one of us, but he stays professional, creating a pleasant environment for the both of us.

"So how many races are left in this season for you?" I ask Lando as we're eating our main course.

"There's three left, Mexico next week followed by two weeks off and then we finish with a double header in Brazil and Abu Dhabi." He says twirling his fork around on his plate. "I'm ready for a break to be honest. This season was tiring."

I look at him, as he plays around with his food a bit. I can see he clearly loves what he's doing, but like everyone you need a break every once in a while. "I understand. It's how I feel after a tour mostly." I tell him, realising that the travelling could be comparable. "I just need to be left alone for a bit once I get back home in the beginning of January."

We continue our dinner, talking about whatever our plans are for the remainder of the year. Lando tells me he's planning on a well deserved vacation right after finishing the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. After that he isn't sure what his plans are. I bite my lip a bit, realising that there is barely any time in his vacation that we could perhaps spend together.

"Well, you're welcome to come visit some other concerts this tour if you want." I say, taking the last bite from my tiramisu.

A smile forms on Lando's face as he finishes off his desert as well. "That'd be cool." He says as we pull out my schedule for the tour.

"I've never been to Seattle," Lando says pointing to the very last stop of the tour.

"Neither have I," I admit. "But I love Grey's Anatomy and I feel like Seattle could be the perfect ending of this tour. So that's why I chose it." I take another sip of my iced tea, opting to stay clear of alcohol during this dinner. Maybe later tonight.

We finish dinner, as time has come to go to the Red Bull party. I try to fight Lando into paying, but he wouldn't even let me pay my part. Insisting that as the man he had to pay for the first date. I tried to convince him that I was very much capable of paying for myself or the both of us, but he was really stubborn.

"I thoroughly enjoyed dinner." I tell Lando as he pulls up to the hotel where both McLaren and Red Bull are staying. Also the same hotel where the party is being held.

"I did too." Lando says, holding my hand over the centre console. Lifting it up to his lips and placing a kiss on it.

Together we go into the party, Lando immediately being swooped to go stand behind the DJ booth. In the big mess of people, I quickly manage to locate Daniel, accompanied by his girlfriend Heidi. I walk over to them, as Daniel quickly introduces us before dragging the both of us to the bar. I order a mojito, before following Daniel and Heidi onto the dance floor. Lando beginning his DJ set.

"He's really gotten the hang of this very quickly." Daniel says as we're dancing to the music. Max and Kelly joining us in the process.

"He has?" I ask, not sure how long Lando's been doing it.

"Yeah, he got a DJ set from Martijn last summer." Max says referring to a mutual friend of ours, Martin Garrix.

"Oh that's so cool, he's definitely enjoying it." I tell the four people standing with me, while we look at Lando. I can tell he's still scanning the crowd, looking for someone he recognises. It must be weird to be asked to DJ at another teams party.

The five of us continue dancing and singing to the different songs, and for the first time in forever I can say I feel at home at a party. I've always enjoyed parties, but often people keep getting my attention because they want something from me. Which results in me not enjoying it at all. Our singing along to many famous songs is interrupted when Lando suddenly adds in a remix of on of my songs.

Pretty convinced that there are multiple people aware of my presence in this building. I look at the four people around me, who are clearly taking in what I'm planning to do. I decide the best way to do this, is to just keep doing what I've been doing.

Sing and dance along to the songs being played like there is no tomorrow.

I can see Lando staring at me from the corner of my eye, as I jump up and down to the remix of my song. I shoot him a smile and a thumps up, as he pumps up the volume a bit. My approval giving him a bit of extra confidence.

After about an hour and a half, another DJ takes over from Lando. Lando quickly making his way over to the five of us. "Hey." He says placing a hand on my lower back, sending electricity through my spine.

"Hey," I say turning to look at him, a smile on my face. "You did amazing." 

"Thanks." Lando answers, a small blush on his face as we dance a bit to the music.

From the corner of my eye, I notice the two couples I had been standing with previously have stepped back a bit. Leaving me and Lando a bit alone in the crowded room.

We dance and laugh, while I have a few more mojitos. Eventually switching to virgin mojitos as Lando isn't drinking. I don't want to be drunk by the end of the night. Feeling as if we're the only people in the room. Only noticing each other and generally having a really great time. Once the clock reaches midnight, I decide my body is long overdue for some sleep.

"I think it's time for me to head to my hotel." I say to Lando as there is a small dip in music.

I can sense a bit of disappointment on Lando's face, yet I can see that he's tired as well. "That's okay." Lando says into my ear of the music. "Want me to bring you?" He suggest. Even though my hotel is two streets from here, I agree to let him bring me home.

Lando and I climb into the car, Lando being completely fine to drive since he hadn't had a drink. Even if it is only two streets, it's just easier to avoid any paparazzi this way.

"Thanks for tonight." Lando says as he's parked at the back entrance of the hotel. My way in, with the least amount of press bothering. I know Haas F1 team are staying in this hotel as well. Paparazzi and journalists having been in front of the hotel the whole day.

"Well it's definitely likewise. It was very nice to get my mind off of the tour for a bit." I say with a small smile.

"Well if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here." Lando tells me, our hands once again interlocked on the centre console.

"I definitely will." I say, thinking about the endless calls we have had so far. "Please do the same, if you ever feel the need. I'm only one phone call away. And if you don't feel the need, please call too." Hoping he gets the message, that he shouldn't stop calling me after my concerts.

"I feel like I've known you forever," Lando then says looking in my eyes.

"Likewise." I say not breaking the eye contact Lando initiated.

He lifts his free hand up to my cheek, carefully moving his thumb in circles over my cheek. I can see his eyes moving down to my lips, before he carefully places a small peck on them.

It is sweet and caring, neither of us wanting to take things any further. Our lives are complicated as hell, and we definitely need to take things slow. Else, it will most definitely explode in our faces.

"Sleep tight." Lando says as his lips part from mine.

"Sleep tight." I say grabbing my clutch and taking my sweat time to get out of the car. "I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Definitely, you're the first I'll text in the morning." He says, before I slam the door shut making my way into the hotel.

——————
Edited 4-11-2023