CHAPTER 31

Ryan's POV

I am restless.

I couldn't follow her because I was dumbfounded till she was out of sight. I never thought she would do a rash thing like that and I wonder where she has gone to.

The more it gets darker, the more worried I become. 

Is she safe? Where exactly is she?

The first emotion that struck my heart while she raced away was fear. Fear that she is going. Gone forever and I might never see her again.

We haven't achieved our aim yet. Mother is just getting along well with me and there are more expectations from her. 

If Valerie goes away just like that, where do I start from? Valerie is the only one making the fear of losing my mother lessen bit by bit. Unconsciously, she has taught me what it means to accept whatever is to come; both good and bad.

If we prepare for it and it comes, it won't hurt too much while the unexpected one would hurt painfully.

I won't say I am looking forward to my mother's death. I am just ready to accept the reality when it comes to hit me hard.

Things are supposed to be getting better between us. I don't like it when we fight but it seems she enjoys fighting me all the time.

I can't even sit or get out of my clothes. I keep pacing my room with arms akimbo.

I am trying to figure out where she must have gone. The only place I have figured out is her parent's. She doesn't have any friends so that is out of the question.

Should I go and look for her there?

I don't want them to know we fought. Mother might get to know.

Should I just wait till she comes back? What if she never comes back?

I groan in frustration and drop my hands as I stop pacing the room. From nowhere, I begin to feel a headache.

I watch my phone on the bed, sitting silently, praying for it to ring and for the caller to be Valerie.

I don't even understand what she meant by promises. I never made any promises to her parents and I wanted her to expatiate, instead, she got mad and left.

Valerie won't call me after what she did earlier, I say inwardly as I take long strides towards my bed so I can give her a call, hoping she would pick up at least.

Just then, my phone rings, and I stand transfixed for a few seconds before running over to grab it.

Mother's name appears on my phone screen and I let out a heavy sigh of disappointment. For a moment, I am thinking it is Valerie calling but I am wrong yet again.