CHAPTER 72

Ryan's POV 

After a round of handshakes, I finally left the office in a hurry to go home and see how Valerie is doing.

I have been thinking about her all day and I could barely concentrate on work. I was thinking about how we made love last night and also what she must be thinking right now.

As for my last statement, I would call it fear. I am scared she will go back to that cold woman, ignoring me like nothing happened last night between us.

I was tempted to call her over the phone this morning but I kept refraining myself from doing so because I don't want to push her away.

Obviously, she wants us to take it one step at a time. And that is what I want to do with her. Even though she didn't tell me she likes me or she accepts to be real with me, I feel on top of the moon already because of what happened between us last night.

I never saw it coming. Probably because of how she flares up when I talk about having sex with her or whenever I do something close to that.

I was damn scared she would sober up and push me away like she did the other day but obviously, she wanted me too.

As much as I think of it, I still can't believe Valerie will go easy on me that way. I came up with two conclusions. Both make me unhappy.

First, Valerie might pretend as if nothing happened between us last night and will avoid topics that will result in discussing about last night.

Second, she might have given me the wrong impression that she wanted me when in reality, she gave me herself simply because she feels grateful for all I have been doing, especially what I did to make her birthday special.

As much as I think about these two conclusions, I desperately wish she wouldn't think this way.

The car drives in slowly and my heart beat increases in fear of what I would meet up there when we see each other.

Will she run to hug me? Will she throw her arms around me and tell me how much she misses me? Will she greet me nonchalantly and act all cold towards me again?

With a deep sigh, I grab my briefcase as John parks the car slowly. Before he can get the door for me, I step out.

I stride towards the front door with a pounding heart filled with eagerness. I yank the door open and get inside without a word to John.

I just want to see her. I want to see the look that crosses her face when she sees me.

If she smiles, it's a good thing but if she doesn't, then it's a bad one.

My heart sinks at the thought of seeing her in a bad mood. I walk briskly into the house, trying so hard to calm my nerves.

I climb the staircase, my heart still racing in fear. When I get to the top landing, I move closer to my door, then take a deep breath before twisting the doorknob to enter.

I am met with heavy silence and emptiness. 

The room is empty. But the bed isn't laid. It looks like she has been in bed all morning and she didn't bother to lay it well before leaving the room.

Where is she? Is she back in her room? Does this mean she wants to avoid me now because of what happened last night?

Hurriedly, I take the door out with my briefcase hanging beside me in my right hand. I race for her door, more desperate to see her.

When I get to the door, I don't run inside, instead, I keep calm, breathing in and out before taking a hold of the doorknob and turning it slowly, a smile creeping to my face.