CHAPTER 81

Valerie's POV 

His annoying optimism for the topic is irking. Not just the way he shows his disbelief in me but the fact that he keeps hoping and thinking it is nothing but a framed up story.

I might be a bad person and a rebel but I would definitely not come up with a story like that just for me to achieve something.

Ryan is an idiot. 

I meant what I said when I told him I was leaving but my heart irks so badly that I almost changed my mind and go back inside to tell him it was just a joke.

But it is impossible. He would never take me seriously if I did that.

I don't want to leave because I know how worried about him I would be. But I have no choice.

With his lack of trust in me, I really do not know what else to do anymore. I don't know if I should just give up on this issue and begin to pretend like it never happened as he suggested.

As the cab stops right in front of my parent's house, I catch a glimpse of a huge car right in front of the gate.

Before I can get down from the cab, the car horns and the gate is thrown open. I watch the car drive in.

Curiosity suddenly replaces my worry and deep thoughts.

Without hesitation, I move swiftly towards the gate so I can enter before the gate is closed. I see a man right behind the gate when I enter. He is wearing a security uniform just like the guard we had before everything crumbled.

I raise a suspicious brow at him and he smiles. "Good day, ma'am."

Someone gets down from the car and walks to the front door, with a briefcase swinging beside him.

The gait looks just like Father's. 

Instead of replying to his greeting, my curiosity runs to its peak. 

Dad? I almost say out loud. What the hell is happening? Does he have a car now? Has he started going to work now? Is that why I never met him at home all this while? Even when he promised to meet up with me at the avenue so he could tell me all that I needed to know about Ryan's father, he didn't show up and I haven't seen him ever since then.

My legs begin to move toward the car. His figure has already disappeared into the house.

When I am close, I examine the car to see if it is brand new. This is because he recently got the car.

What is happening? My legs begin to move again, this time more quickly in restless anticipation to get my answers.

I enter the house and almost bump into Mother who is wearing a fancy dinner gown with elaborate makeup on her face.

"Mom?" I call out, expressing my surprise at her appearance and everything else.

There is something else about the house. Something is missing. Or something which is lacking is back.

Not just the car. The interiors of the house and almost everything is present now. It is now brimming with life unlike how quiet and cold it has been for months.

"Valerie, what are you doing here by this time of the night?" she grabs my hand, with wide eyes. Her reaction makes me wonder if she is shocked to see me here this late or if she is shocked to go see me here when she doesn't want me to have an idea of what is going on.

"What is happening? Where are you going?" I ignore her question and ask mine.

"We have a party tonight…"

"A party?" I cut her short with furrowed brows. "With who?"

She smiles brightly and drops her hands off my shoulder, then asks again. "Why are you here?"