CHAPTER 37

Ryan's POV

Father is about to go home when I enter his office without knocking. His secretary had already told me they were going out but I really can not let this wait till some other time.

I also have a lot to do back in the office which is why I decided to come here straight instead of going back to the office from my out-of-office meeting.

He steps back to allow me in, his gaze firmly fixed on mine.

Realizing that I haven't greeted him, I say slowly. "Good morning, Father."

"Why are you here?" He demands instead of replying to my greeting and offering me a seat.

I take a seat without his permission and without answering his question.

A lot of questions keep popping up in my head that I haven't found answers to. Apart from the fact that I want to do this for Valerie's sake, I am doing this because of the curiosity consuming my whole existence.

I want to know why. I want to know what is wrong.

"I asked why you are here, Ryan. I have a meeting in the next thirty minutes and I have to be on my way now", he remarks with gritted teeth.

"I won't take much of your time, dad. I just need to ask you a question", I twirl the chair around to face him where he is still standing.

He is quiet for a while before asking me. "Is this business related?"

I shake my head in response. "No!"

"You know well enough that I don't entertain personal discussions in my office, why can't we do this later tonight?"

"No, dad. Come on. I will be fast about it. Come sit already", his resistance is pissing me off. This is something we can be over with in a few minutes.

My words get to him as he glares at me for a while before walking over to his seat, opposite me.

"What is this about?" He questions with impatience.

Now that I think of it, Mr. Adams' need for help isn't the only thing that I need to know from my dad. There are a lot of things that puzzles me about his relationship with my mother ever since I got to know about her health issues. He is indifferent and acts nonchalant about it like it has nothing to do with him.

The one who should be miserable ought to be him. They are in love, aren't they? He is about to lose his wife yet he has the mind to act like nothing is going to change even if she is gone.

I sigh deeply.

One thing at a time.

"Valerie and I fought last night. I think she got a call from home about fulfilling some promises which I have no idea about. She thinks I am involved but I am not. Obviously, her father told her this is between you and him and I am not involved so I want to know what is happening."