xv

FREAKS : messed up

   The day after, Ben decided to tell Ash that Y/n had woken up

   The day after, Ben decided to tell Ash that Y/n had woken up. The girl immediately went to the hospital to check on her best friend. "I missed you! How's your arm?" Ash asked, "Better, don't worry." Y/n smiled a little.

"How can I not be worried? The whole theater is worried about you, Y/n!" Ash said while sitting on the edge of Y/n's bed. "It's nice to have people to worry about." Y/n chuckled, "I hope you guys are okay too."

She shrugged, "Yeah. But I guess not with.." Ash winced, "You know who."

Y/n raised an eyebrow before finally realizing who Ash was talking about. "What about him?" Y/n asked. Ash shrugged, "We were planning on checking on Buster today. He's staying at his friend Eddie's pool house." She said. "I really didn't expect Ben to call today. And I immediately ran to the hospital and put on the wrong socks." They stared at Ash's socks, one is black, and the other is blue.

Y/n snorted, "That suits you, not gonna lie." Ash rolled her eyes playfully, "Then see you later. Get enough rest!"

"I will!"

Shortly after Ash left, Y/n grabbed the remote and turned on the TV in her room. As she had expected, the broadcaster was still bringing news about the Moon Theater incident.

"Um yeah, Buster Moon certainly brought down the house once and for all today. And although Mr. Moon has not been available for questions, unconfirmed reports suggest he was responsible for building a water tank that exploded and flooded the building."

Buster is wearing one of Eddie’s over-sized T-shirts and watches the TV on an inflatable raft in Eddie’s poolhouse while eating a bowl of cereal with a languid face. Eddie snores loudly on the sofa bed behind him. Discarded pizza boxes and clothes litter the floor.

"in fact employees of 3-star restaurant Les Calamars, and that none of them were harmed during the incident. Whether they will be returning to their usual work is not yet-- " Buster turned off the TV.

There were three knocks on the door, Buster put down his spoon. "Eddie? There’s someone at the door." he said, but Eddie was still snoring on the sofa. Another knocks made Buster turn his head to see the distinctive silhouettes of the group against the window.

"Oh, no."

"Mr. Moon?" Miss Crawly's voice called. Buster stands, concerned there will be conflict. "Come on, Moon. You can’t just hide out in your buddy’s pool house." Ash exclaimed. Yeah, we just wanted to make sure you’re alright, that’s all." Rosita continued.

Buster sheepishly opens the door. They fell silent when they saw the look on the young man's face. His eyes were puffy from crying silently, his nose was red, and his hair was even messier. "Hey, Mister Moon." Rosita started, "You okay?" Johnny continued.

"Guys, look I-I-I’m sorry about what happened, and the prize money and—" They noticed that his voice was hoarse than usual, "Oh, it’s okay

"Guys, look I-I-I’m sorry about what happened, and the prize money and—" They noticed that his voice was hoarse than usual, "Oh, it’s okay." Rosita said. "No. None of this is okay." Busters replied.

"At least we’re all in one piece. Well.." Ash sighed, Buster took a deep breath. "Yeah, and you know what, I bet we can find some other place to put the show on. Right?" Rosita asked. "Yeah!" They all agree.

"The show? Guys, I’m done."

"Are you serious?" Johnny asked in disbelief, "Whaddya mean done? Come on!" Ash continued. Buster lifts a crumpled newspaper from the floor, He’s headline news. "Didn’t you see this? Huh? Look, it says I am a danger to society.."

"Bah!" Gunter exclaimed, ".. A deluded, washed-up charlatan who never had a hit in his career." Buster continued what he had read in the newspaper. "Oh come on, you don’t believe all that?" Rosita rolled her eyes, "Yeah. I do." He makes to close the door but Johnny pulls it open.

"Listen. You’re not the only one who lost something ‘ere. We all did." They agreed with Johnny's words. "I mean, I lost any chance of ever speaking to my dad again over this show." he continued. Buster tugs and succeeds in closing the door.

"Sorry."

"Oh, Mr. Moon, don’t.." Rosita muttered, "Forget about it." Johnny said. "What is this? I don’t understand." Gunter replied. "Come on. Let’s get outta here.." Rosita said.

Buster lays on his air bed as the others walked out of the poolhouse. Ash realizes Meena is still behind, but she doesn't know what Meena's doing. All she knew was that the girl had brought a box of cookies for Buster. Meena left the pool house in a hurry "Meena!" Ash called out, but the girl ignored her.

"Aren't you too harsh on Meena?" Ash said, appearing in front of a door that hadn't been closed yet. "What do you want, Ash?" Buster asked did not turn to her, "It's about Y/n." she said. Buster's shoulders shot up when he heard Y/n's name.

"Is she.. okay?"

"Her friend Ben just called me this morning, said she was awake and could be seen." Ash replied, "That's great." he said. Ash frowned, "That's great— really? that's all??"

Buster finally turned to her "I'm glad she's okay. I'd love to see her again but.." he sighed, "I'm too scared to meet her eyes again." Buster continued.

"Huh? Why?" Ash asked.

"That day.. when the ambulance came, my eyes met hers." Buster started, "You know what I saw? She was in pain. She was scared. I couldn't see the look in her eyes like that." He walked out and sat by the pool. Buster looked at his reflection in the water, "Look at me now.."

".. Y/n almost died, and all I did was run away from there." A tear fell into the water.

"Hey.." Ash started "She's fine now. Y/n is getting treatment from the best." She said, trying to comfort Buster. He shook his head, he still didn't want to see Y/n. Just hearing her name made him feel guilty. "Moon, You can't hide it from me, you know? I know that look. You love her, don't you?"

Buster snorted before saying, "Don't talk nonsense, Ash." he said. "Oh, c'mon. Stop being stubborn and grow up!" She replied.

He frowned, "Whatever you say." He stood up and walked in, closing the door.

"Moon!"

Ash sighed and lowered her face, she immediately left the pool house.