xvii. real life

{authors note} Just a quick disclaimer that the events in which I speak about in this chapter are indeed fictional. It is purely for entertainment purposes for the story. Any time this is even mentioned in future chapters, is purely for the storyline and do not reflect real life relationships.

CHARLOTTE COOKE WAS IN MIDST OF CHRISTMAS ALBUM PROMO COME THE FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER. Which meant traipsing around New York City in the snow and freezing cold weather whilst the boys got to do really cool things and call it work. Whilst she was essentially the zoo keeper that kept them rounded up so they didn't stray too far. The only plus side to the ridiculously cold weather was the fact she got to experience these cool things with them.

The band and their team had spent the day at the Empire State Building for their light show and doing numerous interviews. It had unfortunately been one of those days where it felt like Charlotte had been awake for seven million years and all she wanted to do currently was go back to the hotel and order room service before falling asleep.

Sleep however would have to wait because just as she slipped into some sweats and an old tee that she was pretty sure she had actually stolen from Harry about six years prior, there was a knock on the door. Confused who could be knocking on her door at 22:50. Charlotte threw her phone onto her bed before pulling open the door to a solemn looking Nick Carter.

Holding the door open wider; the brunette allowed the blonde to shuffle on in to her hotel room as she shut the door behind them. Upon turning back towards her room, she found Nick shuffling his feet next to her bed with a conflicting look etched across his features. After a big inhale; Charlotte sighed, knowing that she wasn't sleeping anytime soon before making her way over and pulling him to sit down with her.

"What's wrong love?" She patted his arm, hoping to encourage him to speak up.

"I don't know how to say this because it makes it real to say it out loud."

Charlotte turned; crossing her legs underneath her bum so she faced her friend properly. "Is everything okay? You're scaring me!"

"Lauren and I are currently taking a break. We're trying to work through things for the kids but I just don't know where my heart is anymore and it's freaking me the fuck out."  Nick threw his head into his hands and curling in on himself.

Charlotte immediately reached out to comfort him by smoothing her hand across his back. "Shit Carter! How long has this been going on?" The brunette asked; watching as he turned to balance his head on his hands as he looked at her with sad eyes.

"Since before Aaron."

"Shit! And you haven't said anything until now?  You've been dealing with this all by yourself? Do the boys know?" Charlotte asked, the blonde only shook his head. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't know how to." Nick sighed.

Charlotte furrowed her eyebrows, confused at his admission. Not entirely sure what that even meant. "What does that even mean? You can come to me about everything."

"Because I knew I wasn't happy with her but I knew that I was happy whenever I was with you." The confession came out a whisper but Charlotte had caught it and dropped her hand from where it was wrapped around him.