xxii. real life

CHARLOTTE ARRIVED BACK ON ENGLISH SOIL ON DECEMBER 23RD. Which she found a little funny considering the person she was spending her Christmas with had recently written a song about going home for Christmas on the 23rd. She had to laugh at the coincidence. But being in her childhood bedroom was a comforting feeling after the hectic mess that was 2022. It was even comforting that the chaos that would be their joint Christmas was still going to be less chaotic than both of their normal day to day lives.

After waking up and having breakfast with her family. Charlotte opened her presents off her family before heading upstairs to slip into something suitable for the festivities before the entire Brown-Cooke family trekked next door to spend the day with the Healy's. Making her way around the room; Charlotte greeted Denise and her husband Lincoln with a big hug before saying hello to Matty's younger brother Louis and their dad Tim. Matthew already brooding in the corner before she finally reached him. The older boy simply grinned like he was up to no good as he yanked her into his arms for a squeeze.

As they all settled into their own conversations; Matty dragged Charlotte towards the sofa next to the tree and picked up a medium sized, very well wrapped, box. The brunette eyed it suspiciously before flitting her eyes towards the curly haired man next to her. "Carly wrapped it alright!" He groaned dramatically, rolling his eyes at his ex.

The brunette carefully tore through the wrapping paper to be greeted by a white box with the Gucci logo printed on the top. Charlotte gasped; looking to him with wide eyes. "Before you say anything. It's from all four of us." He smiled softly, just as she slipped the lid off. Pulling out a gorgeous black backpack that was the perfect size for travelling/to be her carry on when on the road. Charlotte wrapped her arms around his neck as she thanked him.

"I love it! Thank you so much Matty! Wait there a sec." She jumped up before running off and returning with a soft present that she dropped into his lap. "Mine seems a bit shit now in comparison! But here you go."

Ripping the wrapping paper off with less care than she did. Matty held the white chunky knit Tommy Hilfiger cardigan up in front of him to get a good look at it. "I saw it and I thought you might like it in your old age! Do you like it?" She asked as he jumped up to pull it on over his plain black tee he was currently wearing.

"Do I like it? I love it! Thanks so much sweetheart!"

After the exchanging of presents the pair joined the rest of their families as they cracked open the booze and sat down for Christmas dinner. As far as joint Christmas' go with two crazy families. It was going alright. As far as Christmas' go with your ex boyfriend. It was also going alright. Like she told the boys "It could have been worse." She didn't even have it in her to care when Matty threw a roast potato at her head during dinner, after she had zoned out because she was just so relaxed and happy to be home in Cheshire after the most chaotic two months. That all he got was a playful scowl before she tucked back into her own dinner.

Once their stomachs were full; the families dispersing all across Denise's house to do their own thing. Deciding on another glass of wine, Charlotte stopped next to Matty who was currently leaning in the kitchen doorway and taking in an interest in the conversation he was listening to when Louis caught her attention with a smirk. Cocking an eyebrow, the brunette mouthed "What?' at him. He simply pointed to the top of the door, which had now caught their mothers' attention. Now aware that everyone in the kitchen's eyes were on them, Charlotte deadpan stared her ex brother in law out.