market visits

The queen sat in the rocking carriage across from the king. The gold and green shuttle rolling through the forest. The king was staring out the window, watching the trees role by. She spun a coin in her fingers, staring at him. Completely zoned out. The carriage passed into South territory and the thick forest thinned, becoming hills of flowers and crops. The queen snaps out of her trance just as the pair arrived.

It was odd here, walking through the town. People had little booths set up, selling homemade goods. You look around, perking up at everything you see, everything looked so appealing. You must have a look of curiosity because Timothée teases you. You walk down the streets, people do double takes, either because of Timothée's crown or the hints of blue and white in your dress. You shake Timothée's shoulder.

You point at a booth. "Oh look!" You hurry over. You gaze at the jewelry. "These are so pretty." Timothée arrives beside you. You look up at the clerk. "How much are these?" You ask the woman. She holds up two fingers. You give her two coins and pick a white bracelet. It was so pretty. "Thank you." You nod at her and turn away. Timothée grins at you. You walk along the town together, stopping here and there to look. Women young and old gaze at Timothée, as do some men. Seeing their king just a few feet in front of them must be shocking. Most people stare and whisper amongst each other, a few whistle at him but no one dares to actually walk up to him.

You scowl at your feet. "What's wrong?" Timothée asks, he gasps. "Don't tell me you're jealous." He teases.

"Never." You scoff, bumping your shoulder into his. "Don't they know I am queen though?"

"Aha! You are." He laughs.

"You're the worst." You roll your eyes at him, but can't help but let a smile poke through just a bit.

You banter back and forth as you weave through stalls, purchasing things here and there. This was the longest conversation you had had with him and enjoyed yourself. A young brunette woman, maybe two or so years younger than you approaches the two of you. She comes from Timothée's side, unable to see you.

"Hi!" She says exasperated. "You don't happen to have chosen a queen yet, have you?"

Timothée blinks at her and you roll your eyes. "I have actually." He gives an awkward cheesy smile

"But like, you haven't like actually married her right. No alter or whatever?" She chews her thumb nail.

"No?" He chuckles. "But we're-"

"Oh great! Is she prettier than me? Like what does she look like?" She twists a lock of hair around her finger. "Is she good looking?"

Timothée opens his mouth to answer but you poke your head into view. "You tell me." You snap and cross your arms. Her mouth snaps shut. She flicks her eyes up to your crown. You scowl at her. You hold Timothée's sleeve and tuck a piece of hair behind your ear. "Usually when someone tells you they're going on with someone, you leave them alone." You scowl at her before dragging Timothée away. Once you're a good distance away from the woman you let out a scoff. You look at Timothée and he's smiling mischievously at you. "What." You snap, raising an eyebrow and planting your hand on your hip.

He smiles wryly at you. "J-E-A-L-O-U-S! You're jelly-ous! Jealous, jealous!" He does a little dance as he speaks to you in a sing song voice.

Your cheeks flush. "I am not!" You shake him vigorously. He keeps taunting you and you continue to shout at him. His head shakes back and forth as he laughs. "Shut up! Shut up!" You give him one hard shove and he goes crashing into a stack of crates, full of apples.

He lets out a long groan, you press your lips into a thin line. He looked silly, his limbs trapped in between crates. His crown has fallen over his eyes and apples scatter around your feet. You hold out your hands and pull him up. You walk away, Timothée laughing his ass off in tow. You press your hand to your face. "Are you okay?" You ask. He laughs, folding over with his hands on his knees. "That was so embarrassing!" You wine, stamping your foot against the stones. You look at him. His cheeks are flushed and his smile is huge as his chest heaves from laughter. You puff out your cheeks and try to keep your lips sealed. It doesn't work and your laugh bursts through.

Timothée looks at you surprised. "She has emotions!" He claps his hands together. Your laugh stops and you scowl. He perks up and waves his hands around. "No! No, I'm sorry!" He grabs your shoulders. "Nooo keep smiling!" He shakes you and you keep a stone cold look on your face, unfazed by the shaking. "Come on." He frowns.

You give him a tiny smile and he pumps his fist in the air. You giggle. "Okay, Chalamet. Let's keep looking."

You stand atop Timothée's balcony, leaning against the railing. You spin the beads you had purchased around in your hands. The sunset was so pretty, it was better here. All the trees blocked out the best colours in the West. Even in the field, it wasn't as good as up here. There's a gap in your lips as your eyes gaze out at the sky, not fully there. You had made it back to the castle about an hour ago. Weirded out by being anywhere else in the castle, you planted yourself on Timothée's balcony as he washed up. Surprisingly, you had a lot of fun today. Maybe Timothée wasn't insufferable when in his kingdom. Maybe you were just in a good mood. You weren't sure. He just was fun to be around today, today was purely fun. You hadn't had fun like this since grade school. Maybe he had been homesick just like you are right now, so getting to be back in his kingdom loosened him up. You shunned away the guilt of keeping him in the West. With a sigh you gaze out towards your kingdom, you were slightly homesick already, maybe Timothée had felt the same way as soon as he stepped out of his carriage. You shake your head and sigh, staring out to the west. You could just see the top of the tower where your bedroom was placed from here. The balcony's glass doors creak open and Timothée appears beside you, his hair is still damp and his crown slips so it's lopsided.

Timothée taps hit finger on the banister, he seemed like he was mustering up the courage to ask you his question. "Sooo...I was thinking, there's a function in the town square." Out of the corner of your eye you can see him look at you. You keep your eyes trained on the West. "Do you want to go?"

You chew your lower lip. A function? People would be there, people who could recognize you and tell your mom. People who could have you erased from Timothée's mind with a liquid, and put themselves in. But that didn't matter right? You didn't care...Right? "I don't know..." You shrug. Besides, you never really liked parties. You found them suffocating.

"Oh but it will be so much fun, we don't have to be royalty for the night. We get to blend in." He stares and his feet. "Please? I'll pay for all your drinks." He bribes.

Well, that did sound tempting. Getting to live like a Southern towns person for a night? No crown, no fancy clothes, no need to pay. Just you, and Timothée's money. The opportunity to be someone completely different than who you are rarely arose, and you wanted to know what it felt like to not be a queen. You had been born in a royal family, all you ever knew was the walls of your castle, the farthest you were ever allowed as a child was the field and even then you were supervised somehow. Even now you weren't allowed to leave the kingdom without someone. It was tiring. The only reason you were allowed out was because Timothée was here and you would be returning home this evening. Your mother probably assumed you'd go out with two soldiers and then back home, she definitely did not think you'd go out partying. And just for that reason, the fact that your mother would not know and that you had the opportunity to go out without supervision. You agreed. You throw your head back and sigh. "Fine. I suppose I will join you."

"You're going to have to change, blue and white will not fly." He nods at your dress and you frown. "Don't get me wrong you look great," he twists his hands and smiles awkwardly. "Sorry, I-I'll fetch you a maid."