Chapter 5

Rey cleaned up his space and put the bowls away. He'd made four batches of frosting and stored it for Monday.

His brain told him he needed to talk to Kyle, but he didn't want to make things worse. He was already upset. Rey didn't want to make him angry. He hadn't known him long enough, and it wasn't his business. But his gut told him he needed to make sure Kyle was okay.

He grabbed Kyle's order book and looked it over. They had six orders this week including the cupcakes for Monday. This week was a little lighter since the only ones scheduled were for four birthdays and a baby shower. They would be fairly easy to make.

Thomas had already baked the cakes for next week. Since he hadn't gone on the deliveries, he had had some extra time to prepare. He would work on the decals and toppers on Monday or Tuesday, and they would be able to start assembling. Only one wanted full fondant so it would be a challenge to decorate them without that glue to hold them. Buttercream sometimes was too soft to stick decals onto.

Rey's phone went off. His mom was home with some dinner. He put the book back and went to retrieve his bag. It was singing when he reached it. Rummaging through it, he found Kyle's phone. He'd forgotten Kyle had put it in there when they'd gone to Conway for the wedding cake delivery.

He couldn't leave without returning it so he went up the stairs. Kyle's apartment was above the bakery which made it easier to return things or ask questions if he needed to.

He knocked on the door but got no answer. Testing the knob, he found it was unlocked. He needed to return the phone so he had no choice but to go inside. He had knocked after all.

Apologizing, he let himself inside. The lights were off as he ventured further in. The apartment was a modest open floor plan. The kitchen was to his right, a tiny room in the middle, and the bed on the other side. There was another door in the far corner of the room. It had to be the bathroom.

Rey didn't want to intrude so he set the phone on the table and turned to leave. He was almost back out the door when a hand landed on his shoulder. He jumped a bit then turned around to look at Kyle. The older man's hazel gaze were bloodshot and droopy.

"What are you doing?" His words slurred slightly and he swayed on his feet.

"You left your phone in my bag," Rey replied. He grabbed Kyle's wrist to steady him. "I brought it back before I left. I can't text you that I'm leaving if I have it."

Kyle smiled, his drunken face turning rosy. "You could have just texted me."

Rey shook his head. "It wouldn't have mattered if I had your phone."

"Oh. Right."

The young man frowned. "Why are you drunk?"

Kyle removed his hand and stumbled back. "I'm not drunk."

"Oh, really?" The older man nodded with a pout. "Then why are there five empty beer bottles on your table?" Kyle looked at his table then smiled like a child. His ears twitched with the motion. "Come on. Sit down before you fall down."

Rey slid under his shoulder and guided him to the couch. Surprisingly, Kyle went willingly. He tripped over his bare feet, but he made it safely to the couch. Kyle reached for a sixth beer bottle and waved it in Rey's face. He batted it away gently, but the older man was persistent.

"I can't," Rey denied. He took it from him and set it back on the table.

"Why not?" Kyle pouted.

"I'm about to go home, and I'm underage. Plus if I show up drunk, my mom would come here. Would you want that?"