Chapter 20

Rey was later than usual getting to work. He had a followup doctor's appointment just to make sure he didn't have any different reactions. He'd told his mom he didn't need to go, but she didn't listen.

After his mother's fears were placated, Kay dropped him off at the bakery. He'd missed the morning rush so he'd called Lily to see what everyone wanted for lunch. She'd called in the order already so he said he'd pick it up on his way in.

"Are you going to be okay?" Kay asked. She helped him gather the bags to his left arm. "Do you need any help?"

Rey smiled and shook his head. "No, I don't think so. The door should be unlocked. It usually is at this time. We should be getting a delivery today."

She didn't look convinced, but she didn't argue. "Your mom said she'd pick up after work."

"Okay." He narrowed his eyes at her. "What?"

"Do I need to beat someone's ass? You know I'm good for it."

Rey barked out a laugh, but he shook his head emphatically. "Please, no. I remember what you did to Cassidy Clark's mom when I was in middle school."

Cassidy Clark had been a classmate of his when they'd been in seventh grade. The girl loved to bully people, and Rey had crossed her path one time. Once had been enough. She'd had her little boyfriend steal his gym clothes and throw them in the toilet.

Rey had just been diagnosed with anxiety and had just started getting used to his medicines. He hadn't wanted to fight so he'd walked the stairs of the bleachers. It had suited him just fine since he hadn't wanted to work out anyway.

If only it had been that easy, Cassidy hadn't gotten the reaction she'd wanted so she'd started stealing his supplies then his homework. Still he hadn't reacted so she'd stepped up her game. During art class, she'd dumped paint down a shirt Kay had given him for his birthday.

Rey wouldn't have said anything had Kay not been the one picking him up from school that day. She and Mia had been on alternating schedules so someone was always home with him.

When she'd seen him at pickup, she'd been livid. She'd marched him into the building straight to the office. She hadn't yelled which was worse, but Rey had told the principal what had happened. Kay had demanded something to be done. Instead, Cassidy had been given two weeks' detention.

Naturally, Kay hadn't been satisfied with just that. She'd told Mia who had been just as angry. But Rey's mother was not the violent type; Kay was. She believed if doing the right thing didn't work at first, shewas going to take matters into her own hands.

And she did. Cassidy's mother cornered her the next week demanding why her daughter had to serve detention for defending herself. Kay had told the truth and had asked why the woman condoned her daughter's actions. Cassidy's mother had accused Rey of bullying her daughter, saying it was the stereotypical black boy picking on the white girl.

Kay had punched her in the nose without a second thought. She had said, "I'll give you stereotypical" before her fist connected. She hadn't been arrested, but Sheriff Danvers issued her a warning and highly advised her to stay away from the Clark family. Cassidy never bothered him again, moving counties after Christmas.

Kay smiled at the memory "She never messed with you again." Rey laughed at the look on her face. "You should go. The food will get cold."

He waved goodbye and went in the door. It was a little difficult, but he managed. Lily saw him from the front and hurried to help him. She took the bags to the kitchen. Rey put his bag in his locker then followed her.