Twenty-Seven

One Month Later

(Seven's POV)

Life has been different lately, I can't speak to Ilana because, you know why. It's like she's dead, but you know she's not, she's just not here. And part of that is my fault.

"Yo." I said, getting pulled out of my train of thought.

"Seven.." Nana spoke, the line crackled a bit.

"Wassup?"

"Do you remember that day you and Jayda kinda got into it at school?" She started.

"What about it?" I scoffed. Everything's fine now, why can't she just leave it alone?

"I was just thinking that I should tell Jayda what you said. It's been eating me alive." I heard her sigh heavily over the line.

"What did I say?!" I jerked up, and put my PS5 controller aside.

"Ermm, just some... things." She hesitated.

"How you gonna tell her if I don't even remember what I said?!" I raised my voice.

"Well don't get upset now, you were too drunk to even remember!" She yelled back at me.

"See! I was bugging! Whatever I said - forget it." I told Nana.

"Well, Sev, you said a lot of things." I heard her cringe, as well as myself because so many things were running through my head.

"I'm a joker, you know that." I fake laughed.

"So when you told me you love, love me, you were just being a joker?"

"I-"

"Right." She said as she cut me off. "Seven you don't understand how guilty I feel, as her boyfriend you should be the one feeling this way, not me."

"So what if we don't tell her?" I asked her, nervously biting my thumb.

"Seven." She started, she's really good at persuading people you know.

"Nana this just doesn't sound like a good idea." I told her.

"Well if we keep it a secret and tell her wayyy later that's my friend probably gone." I heard her pace up and down her room from the other end of the line.

"But then what do I have to lose?! Tell her about your part and keep what I said to yourself." I spat.

"Seven that's your friend and girlfriend. Gone." She told me. "Plus I can't tell her 'my' part without saying the whole thing - it won't make sense."

I kissed my teeth. "I don't know then man."

"If you don't tell Jayda then I will."

"What? Nahhh, Nana I don't even remember anything that happened that night what?" I said as I tried to plead with her.

"This is why i need to stop messing with drunk boys." She whispered to herself.