01┃new kid

S2 EP6

NORAH SAT OPPOSITE Webber in his office with a pen in her hand. She could feel her palm getting numb from scribbling and writing on the many papers and documents for her transfer. It did take her by surprise the amount of paperwork that needed to be filled and signed.

With the final signature placed, she set down the pen and handed the document to the Chief of Surgery. "That is... a lot of paperwork," she commented, mainly trying to break the awkward air in the room.

"I agree," Webber replied.

There was a knock on the door, and it swung open; there stood a woman with a pale yellow shawl around her shoulders, who was staring at the chief with dagger eyes.

"Chief, I am supposed to be home early tonight," she grumbled, her heels clicking on the floor.

"Dr Bailey, this is Dr Lawrence, your new intern," Webber introduced.

Norah got up from the chair and turned to the resident. "Hello, Dr Bailey. I'm Norah Lawrence. Nice to meet you." Her extended hand was left hanging between them, causing the intern to clear her throat awkwardly, "...Or not?"

"Did anyone tell you what they call me here?" Bailey asked; Norah gave her a delayed nod. "I don't care what medical experience you had before, you're new here, and your shift will start tomorrow and lasts for 48 hours," Bailey informed. "Are we clear?"

"Crystal."

"I'll keep it short. I have five rules. Memorise them-"

"Got it."

Bailey glared at the new intern, who returned a hesitant smile. "Make that six. The sixth one is not to interrupt me when I speak."

Norah nodded. Nazi indeed, she thought grimly.

"Rule number one, don't bother sucking up. I already hate you. That's not gonna change..."

As Bailey went on with her rules with speed, Norah kept her mouth shut and nodded along with her words. The resident left shortly after, leaving the new intern and the chief in the office.

"How are you feeling?" Webber queried.

"Quite pleasant."

"This isn't your first time as an intern?"

"Nope," Norah replied, shaking her head slightly.

"Well, keep in mind that this hospital is highly competitive. And although your med school results and previous internship showed that you're well-qualified, I advise you to be at the top of your game at every second."

"I won't disappoint, Chief."

Just as Norah was about to leave for the night, the news on TV caught her attention. Webber picked up the TV remote and turned up the volume.

"A massive train wreck occurred just outside of Seattle minutes ago. The Vancouver-bound train was carrying over 300 passengers. Paramedics are on scene helping victims..."

Webber let out a long sigh, turning to the intern. "Well, Dr Lawrence, can you start your shift immediately?"

❦ ❦ ❦

"NORAH?" A VOICE CALLED from behind the brunette as she tied the knot of the trauma gown around her waist.

"Oh, hi," Norah greeted. "Guess my shift starts now."

"You're the new kid?" a guy asked; Norah frowned at his smirk. "I'm Alex, Alex Karev."

"Norah Lawrence. And I'm not a kid. I could read before you even existed."