33┃appendix and suture cult

S5 EP9

THE RHYTHM OF A BEATING heart got replaced by blaring beeps of a pager.

Norah's eyes snapped open instantly, and she lifted her head from the bare chest. Mark grunted in pain underneath her as she crawled over him to reach for her pager on the nightstand. He pulled her back under the sheets, his arms tightening around her body.

"There's a possible appy on its way in," she wiggled her way out of his hold, "The chief's choosing second-year residents for solo surgery soon."

He squinted at the clock while she flipped over him and landed on her legs on the floorboard. "It's three in the morning," he stated, "How did you even get a page?"

"Nurses loooooove me."

Mark sat up on the bed as she scrambled to get ready. "You've barely slept," he tried, but she shrugged.

"I'm energised. Adrenaline is a decent substitute for coffee," Norah replied, "Get your rest, sleepyhead." She climbed onto the bed and gave him a kiss before scrambling away again.

He lay back down on the bed when he heard the door close, his head digging in the pillow. He was left alone in the bedroom, the space to his left was empty, but the room was not silent. He got up from bed and shrugged on his pants, hopping his way out of the room.

He saw her over at the kitchen, chugging down a whole cup of coffee. "What happened to 'adrenaline is a decent substitute for coffee'?" he raised a brow at her.

"I said decent, not perfect," she replied and rinsed her mug in the sink. "Why aren't you back to sleep?"

"Tim's got your car," he yawned, "And it's raining. I'm driving you."

❦ ❦ ❦

"SEE YOU LATER, DEATH!"

"I still dislike her," Norah voiced out as Sadie roamed away from Meredith, "And that's coming from me."

"You hate Izzie, too."

"I don't hate Izzie... Well, at least not anymore," the brunette shrugged, "Speaking of, why isn't she here to seize the case? This ain't very Izzie of her."

"She's busy doing porno," Alex snorted, "By herself." Norah sent him an impressed look.

"What are you all doing here?" Bailey asked the residents that gathered in the ER.

"I got here first, Dr Bailey," Norah claimed.

"No, he's mine," Cristina shot her up in the air, "I met the ambulance."

"And she's sharing him with me," Meredith added.

"He's mine-I'm on call!" George argued.

"Good morning, Dr Bailey," Alex smiled, "You look nice today."

"Brownnoser," Cristina mumbled to him before turning back to the Chief Resident. "I got here first. And the chief said I'm the one to watch."

"Oh, I get it," Bailey shook her head, "It's solo surgery time, and you all have heard the past two years the chief assigned an appendectomy. So you little mini-surgeons dragged your butts out of bed to pick up some final tips from the master."

The second-year residents nodded without hesitation, their eyes glimmering. "That's kind of cute," Bailey sighed, "Alright, I can use two of you."

"I filled Meredith in on the case," Cristina informed.

"Jason Kron, 47, tenderness over McBurney's point," Meredith recited.

"Lawrence, what do you know about Mr Kron?"