10┃dreamland

S2 EP26

[TW: blood / description of injury]

"I'M TRYING TO SAVE him," Izzie defended herself while manually pumping Denny's heart. George, Meredith and Cristina were in the room, looking at her lividly. "All I have to do is confirm that his condition is worse, then Burke can call UNOS, and he'll move up on the list, and he will get his heart."

"About Burke..."

"She's gone insane, right?" George scoffed, "It's not just me?"

"About Burke..."

"Everything will be fine!" Izzie howled. "When Burke gets here, everything will be fine. He will know what to do."

"About Burke!" Cristina interjected for the third time, finally grabbing the rest of the interns' attention.

"What?!"

"He's been shot!" she yelled, and everyone's head snapped towards her. Cristina took a deep breath, her head running in all directions. "Norah's been shot, too. She's unconscious and-"

"Where is she?" George demanded.

"George-" Meredith tried calming him down, but he brushed her hand away.

"Damn it, Cristina, where is she?!" he repeated, walking up close to the woman.

"Trauma 3."

George immediately took off and left the room, leaving the three women to deal with Denny.

❦ ❦ ❦

THE ROOM WAS COLD.

Norah's eyes flew open, and she gasped.

The light above her blinded her sight as she sat up from her lying position. She recognised the room, but from a different perspective. Usually, her vision would be focusing on the patient on the bed, not the shelves and drawers in the room-yet currently, she was the patient on the bed.

However, the room was empty. No doctors, no nurses, empty drawers, empty cabinets, the door was closed and the blinds were shut.

She looked down at her abdomen and lifted her shirt slightly, to where she saw the entry wound of the bullet. The margins were clean, and despite her flesh being open, there was no blood coming out from it. Weird, she thought.

She stepped down from the bed; she was barefooted but still in her scrubs that were now clean. The only thing she could think of to do in this empty trauma room was to get out of it. And so she did.

Walking towards the door, she carefully examined the handle as it shone in her eyes. Slowly, she tightened her grip around the handle and twisted it, pulling the door wide open.

But she was not in the ER-she was not even in the hospital.

She felt the earth under her feet-the damp soil and tickling grass felt familiar. In front of her eyes sat the double-storeyed house with an ugly red roof that she had never stopped complaining about. She was home.

The front door flew open, catching her attention, and she saw two kids running onto the porch, hurling and attacking each other with different-coloured lightsabers in their hands. Norah smiled at the sight of her and her brother poking and jabbing each other with the toy.

It was a fine morning on a summer Sunday, and she was nine; the two kids' adoptive mother was home after a long business trip overseas.

She remembered this day vividly, as it was the day her mother died.