89┃o.r. 4

KAI HAD BEEN PUT TO SLEEP hours ago, and it felt like forever before the sun started to rise.

It felt like forever because Norah had never felt so alone in their apartment, ever. There was a haunting silence, an eeriness in the air, yet her unsettling heart was the worst of them all.

She was wrapped under a thick blanket like a cocoon, staring at her son, who was fast asleep. At the same time, she took glances at the phone by her side every what felt like five minutes.

God knows how long she had been waiting.

Even waiting had never made her feel so agitated and restless.

Waiting...

And waiting...

More waiting...

When the first ray of sun beamed through the slits of the curtains, the ringtone broke the haunting silence in the room that felt just too empty. Within a second, Norah picked up the phone, yet she paused on the next second, hesitating on whether or not to answer the call.

Screw this-what worse could the world throw at me?

She picked up the call and pressed the phone against her ear, letting out a shaky sigh. "Derek... is he-"

"Come to the hospital, right now," Derek her off, his voice curiously collected.

It took her a good moment before the words turned in the gears in her head. "But Kai's asleep, I can't-"

But her words got cut off again. "Wake Kai up and bring him over, too. Norah, get your ass here right now."

There was some loud shuffling noise on the other end of the call, along with some screeches and scrapings. When the noise died off a short while later, Norah pressed her phone back against her ear. "Der-"

"My little man's asleep, huh?"

A long silence-one that rushed every single emotion through her veins; she felt as though her heart was pumping feelings in her veins that transported throughout her body.

"Mark...?" her voice came out strangled and small. She swore if this was some really sick trick or something, she would literally burn the world to the ground.

But the moment she heard the voice, again, on the other end-the familiar words and breathy voice-she knew that the sun had truly risen again.

"I've missed you more, Laurie."

━━━━━

[A/N] Well, whether or not a medical miracle like that is able to happen, here's a fact - this is fiction 😌✨✨

━━━━━

NORAH HAD TURNED DOWN the offer from San Francisco and resumed her fellowship in Seattle. In the end, she could not bear to stay away from the people she would call family; it was where home was.

The hospital staff-especially Bailey-were least to say, thrilled.

Mark got discharged two weeks later and was what they dubbed: a 'miracle case'. It was the love that kept him alive, at least that was what he claimed, but the truth behind the miracle was something that nobody could ever explain.

The first step he took in their apartment almost made him break down in tears.

Perhaps it was the aftermath of the surge of joy and relief that finally loosened up, but weeks went by, and he felt more and more disconnected from the people and the world in general.