54┃wondered

S6 EP21

IN THE SKILLS LAB, BAILEY stood in front of a whiteboard while the residents filled the desks.

"Reaction, observation, communication..." she recited, "Any questions so far?"

Everyone's hand shot up at once and the attending sighed, already knowing the question on the bored-looking residents' minds.

"We are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why," she explained, "And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time, besides, half of you were raised by wolves."

Norah was staring at the floor in front of her as she half-heartedly listened to Bailey's words. Her mind was no longer full, but instead, it was empty. Too empty.

"Reaction-" Bailey wrote on the board, "'Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera can be counterproductive.'" The residents shrugged at each other, bored at the talk. "Uh, la la la la la... Jokes. Don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private."

Cristina raised her arm in the air and Bailey called upon her. With a serious expression on the resident's face, she asked, "What if the joke is really funny?"

"It's not. Neither was that one," Bailey deadpanned as light chuckles filled the room. She caught the eye of the only resident who was not finding the session amusing. "Lawrence, Norah-are you gonna listen or are you gonna continue zoning out?"

The brunette was snapped out of her thoughts instantly as she lifted her gaze to the attending who was staring at her. "Sorry." She could feel the lingering stares of the other residents in the room. She hated it.

Timothy raised his arm. "What if the patient made a joke that was really funny?" he asked, getting everyone's attention to turn to him instead.

"I don't care if you burst a lung, do not laugh," the attending shook her head, "Moving on." She wrote another line of words on the board. "Observation-"

Bailey's words were drowned out, fogging away in Norah's head. "You want something to cheer you up?" Meredith asked next to her.

"Commit arson?" Norah raised a brow and Cristina perked up.

"I can help gather the bodies," the latter suggested, though she had a worried frown on her face.

"I can see you like vegetables. After surgery, you might become one," Alex mocked and the group around him burst into laughter.

I can't even find the humour in that, Norah thought to herself dully.

"Communication-" Bailey resumed, "Uh, 'Don't use jargon. Use language that the patient can understand. Be creative in using metaphors.'"

"I'm terrible with metaphors," Charles grumbled, shaking his head, "I can never come up with 'em."

"Why, 'cause you're dumb... as a box of hammers?" Cristina shot one at him and people snorted.

"You see, that's a good one," Charles admitted, "You're an ass, but that was a good one."

Isn't that a simile? Who cares, right?

"'Be clear and comprehensive. Explain all risks and all probable outcomes, leaving nothing out.' Question..." Bailey finished and lifted her head to the crowd of residents. "Adamson?"

"Why are you going so fast?" Reed asked.

Their heads moved from back to front as Bailey replied, "It just so happens that we have an emergent patient arriving who will need a little extra sensitivity. So remember to employ your R-O-C, and you will... rock your patient's world." The residents groaned and laughed at Bailey's unintentional pun.