Chapter 21 - Hidden in the heart

Aurora's POV

"I am back." Liam replied nonchalantly as he straightened and approached me.

"Didn't you promise me that you would leave me alone?" I asked, raising my eyebrow, and folded my arms over my chest.

"Yes, I promised you that I wouldn't bother you as you wished. However, I found out yesterday that you didn't really wish that I left you alone. So I changed my mind; I won't give up on us." He replied firmly and flashed me a wicked smirk.

I looked at him, surprised. Then I cleared my throat and asked dryly. "Who told you this lie?"

"Not a lie, sugar. The truth you hide in your heart." Liam stated cockily. "A little bird told me." He winked at me playfully. "See you later, sugar. By the way, I freaking missed you." He added, looking me in the eyes and left without letting me say anything.

I grinned in amusement and shook my head. This guy! I really missed him. I even missed his cocky, annoying attitude.

Suddenly, the phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. It was Serena. She was asking me to bring the files the lawyer brought yesterday. As soon as I grabbed the files, I went to her office.

Serena gave me a warm smile and gestured to me to sit down while talking on the phone. I nodded and sat down. She was talking to her daughter about the charity gala which took place yesterday.

"Yes, Liam was there too... He came with Nicole... Yes, I told him before, but he denied... Yes, I hope they will be together. Nicole is a nice girl. They suit each other."

What?

I gritted my teeth in annoyance as I heard what Serena said. Liam told me a few minutes ago that he missed me, but last night he had fun with another woman.

"I hope he will finally marry and have a family soon. We have known her family and Nicole for a long time. They get along very well and are friends." She resumed hopefully.

I pursed my lips together, upset. Of course, Serena would like to have a daughter-in-law as Nicole. She was the daughter of the well-known and influential businessman, Ethan Carter. Her family was the richest family in the world. So they really suited to each other. I wasn't surprised that Serena wanted them to be together.

Once I left Serena's office, I bumped into Jude. He worked here as a lawyer. He was in his early thirties. Serena's secretary told me that Jude liked me, but I denied, saying that we were just coworkers. However, I felt that he was flirting with me every time we saw each other. Moreover, Jude often called me or visited me, finding different excuses.

He gave me a bright smile and greeted me warmly.

"Mrs. Anderson signed the contract." I informed him, extending the file towards him.

Jude nodded as he took the file. "Would you like to have dinner with me this evening?" He asked nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Umm..." I mumbled and ruffled my hair. As I remembered Liam and Nicole, I clenched my fist in annoyance. If he could have fun, I could do as well. "Sure." I replied firmly and gave him a slight smile.

"Great!" He beamed at me happily. "I will wait for you in front of the building after work." I nodded and went to my office.

***

"Another date? Huh?" Serena's secretary, Vivienne gave me a knowing smile after giving me the documents the designer gave her. "Jude is crazy for you. He came to look for you a few minutes ago." She informed me mischievously.

"Yes. Tomorrow we are going to meet up." I admitted honestly.

"The lovebirds are going to spend the weekend together." She commented playfully.