Chapter 8

I march back inside the house. Tristan is sleeping on the floor in the boys’ room, a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. I walk over to him and nudge him with my foot. Hard.

He jerks awake. It takes a moment before recognition sets in. Then he smiles. “Good morning to you, too, sweet lips.”

My face burns. I don’t want to think about why he’s calling me that. “It’s important that I talk to you.” I glance at the other sleeping boys. “I’ll be waiting outside.”

“Not going to give me another kiss?” he calls after me as I walk to the door.

I give him a scathing look and stalk out of the room. Eileen still sits at the dining table, listening to Royce as he murmurs to her. I can’t bring myself to meet her eyes, but I feel the weight of her gaze on me as I walk down the stairs.

She knows what happened last night. I feel ashamed. Guilty. I shouldn’t be, but I can’t help myself. I can’t stop thinking about what she said to me yesterday. How she’s glad I’m here for Daniel. How she’s never seen him so enamored.

It doesn’t matter that Eve might’ve been the one who kissed Tristan last night. As far as Eileen is concerned, it was me.

I pace in front of the house until Tristan walks out. He’s not wearing a coat again. Neither am I, but I hardly notice the cold. My anger keeps me plenty warm.

He flashes me a smile that’s arrogant, so unlike Daniel’s sincere grins, and I wonder what Eve could ever see in him. It has to be based on more than good looks. She can’t possibly be that shallow.

I remember a time when we’d entertain ourselves by making up fantasies. Dreaming of the king’s palace, imagining how handsome and gallant his young son was.

I also remember she used tell me jokes that’d make me laugh until my sides ached. She always knew the right thing to say to cheer me up.

When did we become so different?

“Something tells me you didn’t bring me out here for pleasure.” He tilts his head, his green eyes bright as they inspect my face. “What is it? Regretting last night?”

“Nothing happened between us last night.”

“I beg to differ,” he says, laughing. “You and I both know a lot did happen. Right there.” He indicates the side of the house. “And on the balcony.”

 My stomach turns. The balcony. Daniel’s favorite spot. This isn’t just an act of rebellion by Eve. This is absolute disrespect.

“Either you were there last night,” Tristan continues, “Or your other half was. So which is it, Bree? Was that you last night?”

I know what he’s doing. He’s forcing me to choose between admitting that I’m a Twice Born or letting him think I allowed him to touch me last night. My anger makes me reckless. Eve involved him in this. Not me. “I’m sure you already know it wasn’t.”

His smile widens. “I do. I had quite the talk with Eve last night. That is, before she decided she’d had enough of words and wanted to pass the time in more interesting ways.”

“Stop that,” I snap. “Stop talking about what—about that part.”

He nears me and leans down. “You’re incredibly attractive when you get flustered, Bree. Eve is . . . dynamic. Dazzling.” He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. “But you’re more my type. Your innocence and guilelessness hold me captive.”

I grab his hand and wrench it away. “How do you know so much about us? Why is it that the moment you show up in our lives, Eve is able to take my body without my awareness? Who are you, really?”