Chapter 28

I listen attentively while McColl gives me details of what is to come. He tells me to be at the manor in two weeks. We are to travel by boat to Elcolath to the northeast, where he’ll stay behind to return to the affairs of his city. Reed and I will then continue on to Jayth.

Smithson plans to stay in Belveer until Maxwell’s replacement is found.

“I don’t suppose you would like train for the position, my boy?” he asks Daniel. “You’ve shown that you possess insight and wisdom beyond your years.”

Daniel glances at me. Our hands are no longer clasped, but I still feel its imprint on my palm. I feel his support deeply, too, like layers of heat pressing against my skin.

“I don’t have the power to lead anyone until I can understand your cause,” Daniel says. “I want to travel with Bree to Jayth, if she’ll have me.”

A smile breaks across my face. “Of course I will.”

“But before you gentlemen go,” he says to the men, “I have one request to make.”

“What is it?” Reed asks.

“The Twice Born’s families are being held on two islands near Belveer. I would ask that you release them. It isn’t right they’re imprisoned for no fault of theirs.”

“Of course it isn’t,” Reed answers. “But it is necessary. They are the only means we have of ensuring that the Twice Born don’t slip out of our grasp.”

“They will come to you willingly once they hear you have the power to help them,” I say.

“I’m afraid we cannot make any decisions without King Daemus’s approval,” Smithson says. “All the more reason for you to convince him to join your cause.”

The three men depart soon after that. Once the carriage has disappeared from sight, I turn to Daniel and throw my arms around his shoulders. “Tell me this is real,” I whisper. “I can’t believe they allowed us to go free.”

Well, almost. I can’t imagine what we’ll encounter once we reach the palace or even along the way. But we’re free from the Sunblade for the next two weeks. It’s an eternity compared to the last few days of madness.

“You’re shaking,” he says.

I try to laugh, but it chokes off in my throat. “The fear is catching up with me. I’ve never been so terrified in my life.”

Daniel pulls back to look at my face, but he keeps his arms around me. “Then you are the bravest scared person I’ve ever met. I’m surprised he didn’t offer you the leadership position, with the way you took charge like that.”

I smile at his teasing tone. “They offered it to you. You clearly outshone me.”

“I only did what you needed.”

He did that and much more. “Did you really mean it when you said that you want to accompany me to Jayth?” I ask. “What about your responsibilities to the shelter?”

“I won’t be gone forever. Just long enough to get this need for adventure out of my blood. As the heir of the Ellis bloodline, I can ensure Eileen and Royce won’t have to worry about money while I’m gone, if they choose to stay at the shelter”

He did mention that day we went to lunch that he wants to travel all over Carnolay someday. Maybe this is an opportunity he’ll never have again. “What about your brother?”

“Tobin will insist on coming along.” He tries to smile, but it fades before it reaches his eyes. “I think he deserves it after what Maxwell put him through.”