Chapter 12

Eve recognizes him the moment I do. She stops behind the bush, her muscles wound tightly. Surprise and lividness and bloodlust stir into a dangerous mix inside her.

Don’t hurt him, I say quickly. Don’t you dare hurt him, Eve.

You knew about this? Now her lividness is aimed at me. You knew he was one of them? When did you find out? Today? Is that why you allowed me to take control tonight? Because you wanted to hide this little secret?

She’s struggling to make sense of this. I fear her fury at me will be used against Daniel. I left the shelter. I thought that would be the end of it. I never realized he would be guarding his uncle’s estate tonight of all nights.

Some would call this fate.

That’s no excuse to hurt him!

Tristan joins her at the bush, his shoulder nudging hers. “Go,” he hisses. He hasn’t seen Daniel’s face. I don’t think that would slow him down.

She grabs his wrist to stop him when he makes a move to pass her. He looks down at her, impatience on his face. “What?’

She lets go. “Nothing.”  

I can’t let her do this. No amount of secrets is worth his life. I gather up my willpower, my anger, preparing to fight her for my body. I won’t let you try to kill—

Shut up, Bree. I won’t kill him. Just knock him out.

Surprised, I pause. And realize she means it. She’s too upset to mask her intent; she’s no happier with the idea of killing him than I am. I don’t know if that’s supposed to comfort me. Because while murder isn’t in her plans for him, I don’t know what exactly is.

I stamp out my desire to act now. Not yet. I have to see what she has planned for him before blowing our cover.

The big man stops talking. “You hear that?”

The two begin to look around, more alert than before. They turn toward us. Toward the only trees and hedges in the vicinity. Tristan makes a sound in his throat; if he could speak without risking being heard, I’m sure his curses would fill the night.

Eve taps his wrist with two fingers and nudges her head toward them.

Don’t kill him, I repeat, adding just enough emotion to let her know how serious I am.

I won’t, so be quiet.

Tristan darts out of the bush, Eve right behind him. Their footsteps are light and fast through the grass. It’s by sheer luck that Daniel is glancing back when Eve races toward him. He turns at the last moment, just as her fist slams into his jaw.

He goes down hard. Without wasting a moment, Eve straddles his back and wraps one arm around his neck, the other bracing it. As awful as it is, I’m desperately hoping she chokes him into unconsciousness. If he turns around, he’ll recognize me. That would be worse than anything she could do to him—short of killing or maiming him.

Daniel doesn’t make it easy for her. Grunting, he pushes back against her and flips over. Eve is now pinned beneath him, but she never relaxes her grip. She grunts when he drives an elbow into her ribs, and then wraps her legs around his waist, succeeding in trapping the arm against his side.

He grabs her wrist with the other and tries to take pressure off his neck. He’s strong like her. But Eve is experienced and determined. She holds tightly to him, never relenting. Five long heartbeats pass before he goes limp in her arms.