Chapter 4

Daniel’s mood improves as our trip takes us out of Heiden District. He passes the time entertaining me with facts about Belveer. “Did you know the whole island looks like one big turtle?” he asks as we arrive at one of the stone bridges built across the canal.

I look over the side into the canal. The water is clear, and I see fish flitting around in it. A canoe heads towards us, its rider’s face obscured by the wide-brimmed hat he wears. The limestone bridge is arched high enough to let smaller boats navigate through the waters.

“I didn’t know that.” I frown. “How would anyone know?”

“I’ve heard people say that the gifted ones made this discovery.”

“The gifted ones?”

“Those in Carnolay able to do unusual things. It’s said that some of them have the power to fly.” He chuckles. “I often picture them with wings, like giant birds.”

“That’s strange to imagine,” I say, nervous over any mention of gifted ones. It’s too close to the truth about me.

As we pass through Market Avenue, we’re swallowed by crowds of people. They bustle around vendors, hurry down roads carrying loads and pushing carts, and speak in animated voices to one another. The buildings and houses, made of heavy wood like those in Jayth, are painted colorfully; blue and yellow and green, as vibrant as the dresses of the women and girls who wander about.

Most people in Galg’s End aren’t natives of Belveer. They’re merchants, sailors and tourists, even mainlanders from Rakoshan, coming to Belveer for simple island life. Because of them, there is comfort and security here, unlike an hour’s walk to Heiden District. There are also lots of guards in the vicinity, quick to beat beggars and chase vagrants out of Galg’s End.

“What about Galg’s End?” I ask, allowing a tall man to pass between us. “Anything interesting about it?”

“That depends on whether you’ve heard of the origin of its name,” Daniel replies as we pass a workshop that stands bigger than its surroundings. The man inside glimpses us through the wide windows. He holds up a hand, and Daniel returns the greeting. I’m not surprised at this exchange. People have been recognizing him with surprising frequency.

“No, I haven’t,” I say.

“There’s an old story about a sailor named Galg, who lived centuries ago. He met a young woman here—an islander. For weeks he wooed her with gifts and his charm, but she refused his advances. She told him she’d never become involved with a womanizer who would eventually leave Belveer and break her heart.”

“Don’t tell me this tale ends with him dying of a broken heart,” I say. “Galg’s End?”

Daniel laughs. “No. Galg eventually convinced her to marry him. His crewmate and those who knew him by reputation declared that to be the end of Galg. You see, Galg was something of a legend across Carnolay, with women pining for him in all of the seaports. But it was here he found love.” He gives me a quick glance. “And for a long time, people from all over the kingdom have been coming here to do the same.”

I gaze at the people around us, at the couples walking through the streets. They’re no different from those I’ve seen in other lands. Maybe I don’t know what to look for. I don’t know what people in love look like.

“My parents had a similar story,” Daniel continues as we round a bend and carve a path through the passersby. “My mother was visiting relatives in Belveer when she met my father here almost two decades ago. She never returned to Rakoshan. She loved him enough to stay."