Chapter 24

“Ready?” Eve asks.

She stands to one side of the door, still wearing my coat. Even though she’s exactly my height, she seems taller. She holds her head higher and her shoulders straighter.

I try to copy her to appear tough. Ashin can’t have any doubt that I’m gone. Otherwise our plan will fall apart the moment he walks in through that door.

“Don’t slump your shoulders,” she snaps.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. “It’s not as if he knows you.”

“But he knows you, and right now you’re acting too much like yourself. Timid and a little spineless.”

Eve is more irritating in person than she was in my head now that she’s regained her strength. I straighten up until she gives a satisfied nod. “Good.”

“Are you strong enough?” I ask. I feel my power inside me, but I’m not sure Eve can.

“Only one way to find out.” She smirks. “Don’t give me that scowl. I’m only joking.”

I step away from the door. “Ready.”

Eve turns to it and starts banging. “Open the door!”

She yells for what feels like forever, until my legs eventually grow tired and I begin to lose hope anyone will respond. They will come for Eve, but I’m not sure anymore if they’d do so on her terms.

With a growl, she kicks the door. The dull thud rings out across the room. She’s about to turn away when we hear the sound of the bolt.

She slips behind the door, leaving me to face Ashin. Only it’s not Ashin who appears. It’s the big Tracker—the one in the dining room. The memory of the jar in his hands rushes back. That blood. So much of it. I struggle to hold onto my composure.

“What do you want?” the man asks.

Step into the room. I cross my arms. “What does it look like? I’m starving after everything you people have put me through. Go bring me some food, you pompous jackal.”

A dark scowl falls over his features. “Watch your mouth, witch.”

“Are you too thick-brained to understand me?”

He enters the room and approaches me, arms tense at his sides. I shrink back as Eve sneaks out from behind the door. She leaps on his back, slips her arms around his neck, and squeezes tightly. The Tracker flails about, trying to throw her off. He finally falls to his knees, then lands face-down on the floor. He’s not dead, but Eve makes no move to finish him off.

“Pompous jackal?” she asks.

I shrug. “It was either that or ill-bred buffoon.”

“When we leave this place, I’m going to have to teach you a few good curses.” Kneeling, Eve turns him over and begins to unbutton his shirt with hurried movements. “Help me. Come on, Bree.”

I rush over and pull off his trousers. Eve puts them on quickly, using the belt to tighten the loose waistband. She tosses my coat my way and slips on his shirt.

I find myself watching her. It’s still eerie to see her in physical form. It’s eerier to know this form looks exactly like mine. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.

“Do you remember the way to the dining room?” she asks.

“Yes, but Maxwell might not be there still. They might’ve moved him.”

“These Trackers are too dumb to make such a decision on their own.” She walks past me and into the corridor leading to the stairs. “They probably need Maxwell to tell them when to piss. Or Ashin. I hope we run into him, too. I’d like to let him know exactly what I thought of his hospitality.”