Chapter 27

Daniel’s not looking at me. His jaw is tight, and I know him well enough to understand why this is so hard on him. “You don’t want me to go meet with them.”

“Do you even have to ask?”

Some selfish part of me wants to agree with him. Take the easy way out. I’ve had enough adventure to last me a lifetime. I don’t need to throw myself headfirst into another one.

But what happens to Daniel if I let him take the fall for me?

“Did they mention what they want from her?” Eve asks.

“They claim to want to speak with her. I don’t believe for a single moment that three leaders of the Sunblade would travel all this way to talk. I came here to warn you three to leave while you still can, not to watch Bree sacrifice herself again for some foolhardy reason.”

Anger flares through me. I welcome it. It’s so much easier than being afraid—even if my anger is irrational and directed at the wrong person. “It’s my choice to make, not yours.”

Tristan laughs. “There must be some limit to your selflessness, Bree.”

“There isn’t, unfortunately,” Eve replies. “I know firsthand. Bree berated herself constantly for being cowardly, but I’ve never seen anyone more eager to put herself at risk to save others. Why can’t you two be a normal couple and argue about who should die?”

“You’re doing exactly what you did when Gregor became ill,” Daniel says to me. “You’re claiming responsibility for something that isn’t your fault.”

“I am to blame. These leaders want me—they’re only using you to get to me.” I let out a frustrated sigh. “I won’t let them harm you because of me.”

“You’ll let them harm you instead?”

“They might not even do anything to me,” I argue. “They believe the dominant side is good. Why would they hurt someone they consider innocent?”

“I know you don’t really believe that, Bree,” Eve interjects.

I don’t. But it’s better than admitting that these Head Trackers might be worse than Ashin and Maxwell combined, and they might kill me regardless of what I am.

Daniel draws in a calming breath. “There’s still time. You three can disappear—leave Belveer and start a new life someplace no one will recognize you. I’m giving the chance to be free of all of this. Please take it.”

“At what cost? Your life?” It’s too high a price. Can’t he understand that?

He leans one shoulder against the wall next to the door. “I’ve never been one to surrender easily.”

“You’ll fight, but you’re asking me to run?” I shake my head. “My mind is already made up. I won’t let you become another victim of the Sunblade. Daniel, you have so much to live for. You have a brother and friends, and a family of children who need you in their lives. Don’t throw it all away because of some misguided notion to protect me.”

He straightens up. “Misguided? Worrying about you is misguided?”

It’s hard to remain amiable when every word creates a bigger rift between us, but I can’t back down. I can’t give him any reason to think I’m wavering on this. “It is when you can’t even think sensibly.”

He recoils from me, more hurt than angry now.  The room falls silent; I’m too apprehensive and guilty to say any more and Daniel clearly doesn’t want to talk to me.

“Maybe you won’t have to return to the manor,” Eileen finally says. “If these Head Trackers want you so desperately, surely they would be open to negotiation. What if you choose a location other than the manor to meet with them?”