Chapter 20

“Absolutely not,” Daniel says in the silence that follows.

“They want to capture me more than they want Gregor dead,” I reply.

“Is that supposed to convince me that surrendering yourself to the Trackers is a good idea? They will kill you, Bree.”

“Let the girl do whatever she wants,” Celine says.

Daniel scowls at her and places a hand on my back. He urges me through the bedroom door. We stop in the sitting room, facing each other. I wait quietly, watching him search for the right words.

“What are you thinking?” he finally says. “I need to understand what could possibly make you contemplate this. Are you giving up? Is that it? Do you want to die?”

“I don’t want to die,” I reply. “I don’t even want to get caught. But Gregor will die if I don’t do something now. I’m responsible for what the Trackers are doing to him. Daniel, you don’t know what it was like to see that girl die before my eyes, knowing I had something to do with it. I can’t let that happen again. I’m duty-bound to help Gregor.”

He clasps my upper arms. “You had nothing to do with that girl’s death. Nothing. Ashin and those involved in her murder are solely to blame. Eve is to blame for what’s happening to Gregor. Don’t think I don’t understand your need to protect him, but handing yourself over to the Trackers isn’t the solution.”

“You’re not listening. I don’t intend to get caught.” Even I’m not that foolish. Then again, what I’m suggesting is just as crazy. “I’m only going to tempt them with the opportunity to capture me.”

Daniel hesitates. “What do you mean?”

“I’ll offer myself in exchange for Gregor’s blade. Deliver that message to your uncle and make him believe you’re the only one who can convince me to go through with the plan.”

“Why’s that?” he asks.

“Because you know me, and you know that I trust you. Once the blade is safely within Celine’s grasp—and once she disappears with it—I’ll surrender myself to you. When I try to escape, you won’t be able to stop me. By the time your uncle hears of this, I’ll be safe, and so will Gregor and Celine.”

His hands slide away from my arms. He leans back against a wall. “Assuming I’m even considering this insanity, there are a few problems. Maxwell won’t let me return with the Scarlet Blade alone. I doubt he’d let me leave without at least five Trackers accompanying me.”

I consider this.  “You mentioned before that Trackers are bound by their marks to be obedient. Wouldn’t they do whatever you tell them to?”

“Not if what I say contradicts their nature as Trackers,” Daniel replies. “I can’t order them to let you walk away with Celine and the dagger.”

“But you can order them to stand back and let you handle things, can’t you?”

“It’s too risky. I don’t know how it works—or if it’ll even work. And what if Maxwell sends Ashin or some other superior along? They won’t obey me.”

“That’s why you have to convince Maxwell that I’ll only surrender myself to you. Make him think I’m some frightened, gullible Twice Born. Tell him you don’t want to risk scaring me off before I turn myself over to you. Which is exactly what’ll happen if I see Ashin.”

The dissatisfaction doesn’t leave his face. “Maxwell could very well decide to ambush you and be done with it.”

“He needs us alive to get Eve’s power. Otherwise he would’ve have killed us by now. So tell him if anything goes wrong, I’ll slit my own throat.” Seeing me with a blade poised over my throat should make his men think twice about cheating us.