Lied [chapter 10]

It was a beautiful Saturday evening, and she felt like she was going to throw up. Let me rephrase, she was going to throw up.

As she walked the familiar sidewalks to the residence she'd probably spent more time in than her own, her nerves bundled together in sickening twists. But hey, I guess that's what you get when you lie to your best friend and decide to tell him the truth on a random Saturday while he's living out his dreams.

There was this weird thing about time. Always during the moments when you needed time to breeze by, it seemed to take forever. However, the opposite was also true. Because the girl found herself at the Bakugo residence faster than usual.

"Hey, sweetie," Mitsuki greeted the girl when she knocked, slightly confused as to say she was knocking to begin with when the mother was 95% sure she had her own copy of their house key. She gave a slightly worried look as she gestured the girl inside, "Is something the matter? Anything I can help you with?"

"Um," the girl tried to answer, but her voice came out too shaky. She took a steadying breath, hands smoothing down her shirt to serve as a small distraction. Then she opted to try speaking once more. "So... I may or may not have lied to Katsuki about me not getting accepted into the hero course and instead chose to accept an offer from a prestigious art school that I applied to that is very far away from where we live so I'll have to move."

She did end up vomiting, just in the unconventional way of word vomiting.

"Oh?" Mitsuki sounded intrigued. She rose a brow, "How far away? Are we talking some cities over; maybe on a different island?"

She sucked in air through her teeth as a response, nonverbally letting Mitsuki know it was much worse. The girl finally spoke when Mitsuki gave her a certain look, "It's, uh, in a different country— fuck that, continent..."

Mitsuki's eyes widened to the size of saucers as her mouth dropped open. "In— in a different continent? Like Europe or Africa, right? Someplace that we actually touch?"

"No..." she shook her head, bowing it in shame. "North America."

"Oh my goodness!" Mitsuki stumbled back until her back hit a wall. Slowly, she slid to the floor as if she'd just been shot. "And when exactly are you supposed to be leaving for this school in North America?"

"... Tomorrow," she murmured, almost to the point it was inaudible.

Mitsuki wailed, "Sweetie, why didn't you tell him— or even me for that matter, sooner?!"

"I'm sorry!"

"I wish you the best of luck telling that beast such news," the woman finally gathered herself after a good few minutes. It was like saying goodbye to her second child. "If I hear screaming of any sorts, I'll assume you're being murdered and rush upstairs immediately."

She nodded, swallowing thickly, "Thank you, Mitsuki."

Then she began her trek up the stairs, letting the reaction run through her head. If Mitsuki had reacted the way she did, then she could only imagine— actually, no. She couldn't even imagine his reaction. The boy she'd been able to predict since forever became suddenly unpredictable to her.

She was terrified.

"Katsuki," she spoke softly, the knocks she rapped against his door having the same aggressiveness.

There was a grunt and some shuffling before the door was being opened. Katsuki stood in it, leaning against the frame with a confused look, "Why are you knocking? Nothing has ever stopped you from scaring the shit out of me before."

"I have something very important to tell you," she mumbled, timidly looking to the floor. Her eyes just couldn't seem to meet his. "Like really important."