6 - Rescue

Quaritch's gaze lever left Ti'Ywan as his team made a defensive circle, waiting to be picked up. His grip never loosened and she was getting angry at how they were handling her siblings. Growls were escaping her throat involuntarily, only feeding Colonel's belief that she's the only one they shouldn't lower their guard around and accidentally let slip away. Colonel watched his old mecha suit's camera footage to see how he died. Ti'ywan looked at him, shocked to see him sad after he had finished watching the video. She proceeded to laugh to add salt to his wound. he tugged on her hair, making her grunt from the pain. She smacked him with her tail, that narrowly dodged being stepped on right after.

The forest fell into silence and only peculiar howls could be heard. The children's ears started to twitch when they heard it and they rejoiced. Their parents had arrived and were getting ready to rescue them.

Kiri started chanting something and Lo'ak looked around to see what he could use to escape easier. Ti'ywan kept Quaritch distracted while trying to get out of his grasp.

The situation was nerve-wracking for both sides when nothing was happening. Kiri's captor got agitated as she didn't heed his warnings to be quiet. He yelled at her and at that moment, an arrow pierced his skull and he fell to the ground, instantly dead. Everyone became alert and started shooting up at where the arrow came from. Neytiri moved stealthily through the trees, changing her location before killing more. 

"Lo'ak!"

Lo'ak heard his mom's call and snatched a soldier's smoke grenade before setting it off, biting another soldier's arm and making a run for it. Spider and Kiri also took off, running through the forest with Jake covering their backs.

Colonel now noticed Neytiri's signature arrows that had killed him once before. He chuckled and tightened his grip on Ti'ywan's hair while seeking cover behind a fallen three. His remaining subordinates were on edge from the confrontation.

"Is that you Ms Sully? I recognise your calling card"

He signalled to his subordinates and they began to stealthily move around the area Neytiri was in. He reloaded his gun while still holding Ti'ywan's hair, making her cry out in pain from having her hair pulled on repeatedly.

"Come on out Ms Sully, you and I have some unfinished business"

"I'll kill you as many times as I have to, demon!"

"It seems like you and the Corporal were quite busy, haven't you? You've got yourself a whole litter of half-breeds! One more vicious than the other, especially...this one"

He tugged on Ti'ywan's hair and she cried out in pain before kicking his leg as a payback.

"See? Well, you don't cause you're hiding, but she's killed several of my men before biting me, she's a fighter, I'll give you that, you've raised a fine one, Jake"

Rapid gunfire resumed and Ti'ywan briefly saw Neteyam and her father running away as they were being shot at by many enemies. They had no window of opportunity to save their oldest who was being watched like a hawk by the enemy leader and outnumbered them by about 15 to 4 fighters. Jake punched a tree in frustration as he had to watch his daughter be manhandled, from a distance. They moved through the forest, pursuing Kiri and Spider who were separated from others during the gunfire. Kiri and Spider ran across a tree root above the ground and Spider, not having the na'vi cat-like reflexes, slipped and fell down when a grenade's shockwave hit him. He was recaptured and taken to the Colonel. Jake took it as an opportunity and ran back to get his daughter, but had to hide when they pointed guns in his direction, ready to shoot him immediately.

"Dad, I'll be fine! leave, Tuktuk is still hiding in the forest, she'll be really scared by now! you've got to find her!"

"We aren't leaving you here!"

"I really like her loyalty and spirit, Jake, I think I'll keep her"

Quarritch taunted Jake, knowing he must be furious beyond reason and would come out to save his little girl. Kiri was distressed about Spider and Neytiri had to drag her away to safety. Jake yelled out and turned back, giving his girl one last glance. She gave him a pained toothy smile and his heart hurt even more. He retreated and when Lo'ak and Neteyam saw him come back without their sister, he had to hold them back, so they wouldn't go try to rescue her.

Quarritch laughed when he realised Jake had left. He turned to Ti'ywan and tied her legs and arms together and gagged her mouth so she couldn't bite before putting her over his shoulder. One of his men picked up Spider and they all secured themselves to the rope of the helicopter that came to pick them up. They took off and returned to their base along with the two children. The family back in the woods reunited and Neytiri cried when she found out her daughter wasn't there. They all hugged and prayed for their big sister's and Spider's safety.