16 - Leave No Evidence

Ti'ywan surfed on a Skimwing, showing off her fantastic ability to keep calm and balance on its body despite the speed it was going at. It was swirling the water with its tail fin while keeping the rest of its body hovering above water while Ti'ywan looked for her prey. Then her spear whistled as it flew through the air and hit a fish in the water. She grabbed the Skimwing's reins and got him to stop instantly before jumping off to go retrieve her catch. The Metkayina warriors cheered when she resurfaced with a giant fish in her hands. Jake and Tonowari patted her back and they all went home. Ti'ywan cut the connection and let her Skimwing rest while she carried her catch home for her family to see.

"I told you Ywanie would be able to do it first try unlike me"

Jake laughed, slightly embarrassed that he was surpassed by his daughter. Tonowari chuckled and patted his back, further embarrassing him.

"All of our children are bound to surpass us one day, for you, it just happened to be today my friend"

Ti'ywan was walking ahead of them, excited to show her catch to her family and tease Neteyam and Lo'ak about it. Skimwing was too difficult for either of them to ride, so they didn't even attempt it. But they didn't forget to provoke their older sister about it, telling her how she might not be able to do it either, as even their father failed many times at first. They were more than surprised when they learned she did it successfully and even had her first hunt in the water. Tuktirey and Kiri were genuinely happy about her achievement and went inside their home together with her, telling their mom the news before she could talk about it herself. Jake brought the boys in after finishing his talk with Tonowari and they all sat down around the fire while Neytiri prepared dinner.

Weeks went by peacefully and they all got fully used to the new environment. Although there were some troubles with Lo'ak constantly leaving beyond the reef to meet up with Payakan, it was nothing Ti'ywan could handle and smooth over with her parents. Payakan seemed to like Ti'ywan at first sight and Lo'ak was delighted that he had another friend now, sure it would ease the whale's loneliness.

Ao'nung was another problem they had faced. He and his friends were the least welcoming towards the Sullys and made sure their kids knew it. Ti'ywan often found them making mean comments about her siblings' appearances. Although they were usually cool and even fun. This time however, they took it too far, when they picked Kiri, who was minding her own business, as their target. Neteyam and Lo'ak were used to their comments and would usually ignore them, but not when it came to their sister. So when they witnessed Ao'nung and his groupies ridiculing Kiri, Lo'ak snapped. 

"Look at these hands, they weird right? But watch, it can do something like this-"

"Lo'ak!"

Lo'ak intended to punch one of the boys, however before he could do so, his older sister suddenly landed on Pukk next to them.

"What's going on?"

She commanded for them to tell her as he dismounted, her gaze skipping between each of them before settling on Kiri, who looked hurt, emotionally.

"It's nothing, we were just about to leave"

Neteyam tried to defuse the situation, knowing nothing good would come from Ti'ywan knowing they were bullying Kiri. She knew him too well and turned to Lo'ak, who told her the truth right after.

"They called Kiri a freak, us too, our family"

Ti'ywan's pupils narrowed at his words and she looked at the Metkayina boys, who were snickering to themselves.

"So we are freaks huh?"

They nodded, not thinking much about her question.

"Then let me show you what the forest freaks do to rotten seaweed like you"